Is pvc pipe safe for horse jumps?

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by Victoria24dapple, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Victoria24dapple

Victoria24dapple Full Member

I really want to make good but cheap jumps for my horse (nothing extreme) but I don’t know if pvc pipes are safe.

2. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Since they split, I wouldn't use them. You also don't want to deal with an injury from a puncture wound from that.

3. Alsosusieq2

Why not grab some pallets and utilize the wood from them? Check out Pinterest, they've probably a bunch of things very easy to do. They're very keen on pallet projects.

4. Alsosusieq2

Saw something with straw bales put together too there. Tons of things at Pinterest.

5. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

I cringe at the things I used to jump as a kid...

As a responsible adult, NO to PVC pipes, to light and they shatter...just no.
    No to pallets, they are all splinters and nails..

Questions,
    Where are you jumping? if at a barn they should have poles at least, if at home, who is supervising?

So many questions in my mind...

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. Preppy_Ponies

Preppy_Ponies Senior Member

No pvc pipes are not safe. They do not hold up to the sun and will splinter into shrap pieces.

A much better option is to go get landscape rails from Home Depot. They are 8’ long and flat on 2 sides and round on 2 sides. You can use them as is or paint them to look nicer. You can also cut them in half and add feet to make standards. They normally cost about $3.50 per rail but if you watch for a sale you can get them for $2 each. I have a bunch that I painted white and use as ground rails in my ring. They look great and are holding up nicely.

Landscape Timber Cherrytone (Common: 8 ft.; Actual: 96 in.)-7400001030408000 - The Home Depot

wpgrider, ibsammy and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  7. Alsosusieq2

Good point, never used them. I think Pinterest has gotten me thinking you can do anything with pallets, from a bench to a house lol. I've only seen pallets once myself.. :confused:

mooselady likes this.
  8. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

I see so many exciting things done with them, maybe people have a better class of pallet than we have here. I would love to try some projects, but then I find myself breaking down one for firewood, and swearing for the thing, just nasty...

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  9. spec

spec Full Member

You can buy super cheap wood posts in the landscape/garden outdoor part ofhome improvement/farm stores. I just spray paint mine and they work fine! (I don’t jump just use as trail and trot poles)
    I’ve also used branches from super old dead trees (no bark left on them), sanded down to make nice poles. Not super even, but definitely natural looking lol!

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  10. Victoria24dapple

Victoria24dapple Full Member

Thank you, I was just wondering because I already have a pony that I can’t ride but she loves to jump and is quite good at it, and my little cousin wants to learn how to jump all we need is the jumps

Alsosusieq2 likes this.