Is it ok. . .

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Dona Worry, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Western. I like it better than English.

Arem likes this.
  2. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

You know, it HAS been mostly ring work. Maybe I just need to hang in there until the weather is better, and maybe we can trail ride for a lesson or two. . . That's all I really want to do for riding anyways....

manesntails, froglander, Arem and 5 others like this.
  3. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Yeah, that makes a huge difference. I learned to ride by riding on trails. When I started working at the barn when I was 13, I was impatient as anything with arena lessons because all I really wanted to do was jump big obstacles cross-country. I put up with it because I had my own horse and rode the trails to and from work, as well as every other chance I got.

I appreciate arena work a lot more now but I think much of it is wasted on newbies because they aren't ready to absorb the finer points of it. The basics you can learn on a trail just as well as in an arena. Going around in circles IS boring if you're not at a level where you can really dig into the nitty gritty of that perfect circle, or a correct bend.

I also think spending too much time in an arena builds in a layer of fear about going out on the trail that is totally unfounded. I've met so many riders who have NEVER ridden on a trail, or won't go out alone even though they have a rock-solid horse and have been riding for 20 years. Even a lot of kids who are very nervous about a trail ride because they've only ridden in arenas, which makes me very sad.

My instructor that I had as a kid took her lessons out for trail rides regularly. It was a way to do something different, relax, and enjoy the scenery while learning something new.

kodemiester, Circle C, Bebe and 5 others like this.
  4. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

Yup. I love riding, but my passion is caring for my horse. I spend hours grooming and just spending time with her. I do hope our bond will translate to many happy trail rides. But I'm perfectly happy just being with her.

I would also recommend trail riding in nice weather. I love the peace and quiet of riding through a forest.

5. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Absolutely.....more common than you think...

6. Arem

Arem Senior Member

As everyone has already said, yup. Common.

In the beginning with Brandi, I spent so much time grooming her and just being with her. The riding was just fringe benefits. Now I ride a lot. Most of the time. Sometimes I’m like, “I just don’t feel like it.” So I brush her, feed her treats, and put her back.

I’m just not real driven as a rider. In theory, I’d like to be. In practice... my drive is all used up on other things. So if I don’t feel like riding? Cool. If I want to? Cool.

For you, it could just be that ring work just isn’t your thing. I’d get bored and frustrated if every ride I did was a structured lesson in a ring. I like to play.

Could be you just need to find what makes riding fun instead of a chore. Or it could be it’s jist not your thing. And that’s perfectly all right, too.

All that matters in the end is that the horse is safe, well fed, and healthy.

7. Suzanneszoo

Suzanneszoo Senior Member

Me too.

I like riding, find arena work duller than dull, and would rather clean 30 stalls than do another shoulder in.

Giving my Fjord her monthly haircut, on the other hand????

Sign me up.

froglander and Dona Worry like this.
  8. Bebe

Bebe Full Member

Absolutely OK... :)

9. slc

slc Senior Member

If a person doesn't want to ride, that's fine, but horses are made to move. They need exercise.

Doing nothing but eating all day is not good for them.

Horses need exercise. Daily. Lots of exercise. Walking around a pasture isn't enough. Just because it's popular to give them less than adequate exercise, doesn't make it good for them.

People have minis because they aren't interested in riding? Yes, and we have an epidemic of fat minis and an obese horse is a neglected horse and an unhealthy horse. They need to be driven, walked on trails, on a treadmill, something, and not just a week or two before a show.

10. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

She is exercising the horse. Why do you have to make this into something it's not?

Dona, YES, it is completely okay to love horse ownership and NOT ride, and I love watching your story and you grow. You care very well for both of your four legged hooved beasties!