Is it ok. . .

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Dona Worry, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

To enjoy everything about horse ownership except riding?
    Asking for a friend. :whistle:

2. CabterCrazy

CabterCrazy Senior Member

Yup! Sometimes people just enjoy the horses and not the sport, my old BO loved horses but wasnt too into riding anymore so she ended up taking in a bunch of reject horses who needed to and softly

Dona Worry likes this.
  3. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Yup. Not a darn thing wrong with it. My only caveat about it is one that your friend is probably already seeing to - that the horse has enough training to ensure a soft landing if ever an emergency came about that required it to be rehomed. ;)

4. palogal

palogal Senior Member

Sure. I don’t feel that way, but some people have horses as pets. To each his own.

Dona Worry likes this.
  5. DelP

DelP Senior Member

Why do you think so many people have minis?
    Personally I love to drive. If there were better trails for us that would accommodate my cart I'd spend a lot more time driving then I do. Bonus my horses can earn their keep around the farm. I have a small trailer and yard roller they can pull. I'd love to get a horse drawn manure spreader.

You can do in hand trail or showmanship which is a blast AND helps make sure your horse is marketable. There are even in hand obstacle classes at some places.

6. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Thanks, I needed to hear that!
    Boarding my horse and taking regular lessons has made me realize how much I hatehateHATE having my horse too far away to care for. I like grooming her daily, checking the feets, putting her in a clean stall with hay and grain, and seeing her goof off and graze on pasture.
    Conversely, lessons are hard, and while I am getting better and think I might enjoy riding my own horse, riding itself holds no pleasure for me. It feels more like an obligation or chore.

I will probably keep trying at least until I am a better rider--I may enjoy it more if I am better at it, and could ride my own horse at home-- but I honestly don't know.

Acornicus likes this.
  7. palogal

palogal Senior Member

Maybe you’re not riding in a style you like. What are you doing?

Arem likes this.
  8. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I think this is often the case when people begin as adults and have so many other responsibilities and obligations. In your case, you're riding because you ended up with a horse, rather than deciding to take lessons because you wanted to get a horse. So the impetus is very different.

I am pretty sure you will enjoy riding your own horse much more, especially when you have her at home and are able to just be with her and do all the work of caring for her. Because then it's about your relationship with her, and not really about riding per se. So yeah, I'd say hang in there until you feel confident about riding her. But I honestly don't think you'll have a lot of issues with her. You have great instincts and a great relationship.

9. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

A friend pointed out to me the other day that my 'love language ' is care, and I realized that translates into horse ownership as well. I love my horse, and the way I express that is through silly things-- extra shavings in her stall, washing her water bucket even when it is clean, always making sure I have a treat, fretting over her health, etc. She may not understand it at all, but these are the aspects of horse ownership I truly enjoy, and I didn't even realize it!

paval, Acornicus, tlwidener and 5 others like this.
  10. CabterCrazy

CabterCrazy Senior Member

Have you gotten to just go on a trail ride and enjoy yourself? Or has it all been ring work?

I had gotten to the point where I loved horses but hated ring work and lessons and figured I hated riding. After a few years of taking it slow and doing what I want and riding when I want, I have started to love ring work and riding.

Nothing wrong with enjoying your horses for giving you downtime and quiet, if you can afford them and take care of them, who gives a ****

Acornicus, froglander, Arem and 2 others like this.