1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Is it normal for horses to lay down?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Imagine That, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Imagine That

Imagine That Full Member

Ok, so I have had my horse for about a year now, and she lays down when shes in her stall at night. I have never infact seen her laying down, but when I go out to feed her she had shavings and manure on her sides.Is this normal? She will trot when I ride her(its winter and icy so I dont lope her) and she will canter/trot when I let her out. so do you think this is normal?

2. Ryle

Ryle Senior Member

Absolutely, horses normally lay down for at least 45 minutes a day. They can't get all their required sleep standing.

7 people like this.
  3. Imagine That

Imagine That Full Member

Thank - you very much!

4. EventerNic6187

EventerNic6187 Senior Member+

Yes, in most cases it's normal for a horse to lay down. I can imagine their legs would get pretty tired if they didn't lay down and rest from time to time :)

As long as she can lay down and get up on her own, and doesn't stay down all day or look distressed (could be a sign of colic), it's normal. When I get to the barn in the afternoon, it's not at all uncommon to see a few of the horses catching a quick nap in their stall. They're usually up again within 30 minutes.

2 people like this.
  5. freedom32

freedom32 Senior Member

Yes--horses can nap standing up, but lie down for real sleep.

6. all4him

all4him Senior Member

Absolutely normal! I have taken pictures of the daytime naps with some of the horses I work with:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then here's a cute video of my favorite haffy at camp:

http://youtu.be/j18bUPSkTLM

2 people like this.
  7. Gulchiesgurl

Gulchiesgurl Full Member

My guy loves to lay flat out as well :) esp when hes got a nice fresh bed! I remember the first time he did it, well that i saw, i made the poor guy get up...lol..i thought something was wrong,but he was all good!!

8. prairiesongks

prairiesongks Senior Member

perfectly normal for a horse to lay down.......we have a Belgian and 2 TWH's on pasture and 2 mini's in a dry lot and frequently see 4 out of the 5 laying down along the common fence line. The one standing is on guard duty for those "horse eating monsters" that inhabit their world:rofl:.

1 person likes this.
  9. EventerNic6187

EventerNic6187 Senior Member+

Also, we have a horse that loves it when you just dump a bag of shavings in a pile in her stall after mucking it... She gets a kick out of rolling in the pile and spreading it around herself. She's like a little kid playing in a pile of leaves :D

1 person likes this.
  10. walkwavy

walkwavy Registered

Are you serious?