Is it normal for a horse to be lame after throwing a shoe??

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by spec, Jul 25, 2018.

1. spec

spec Full Member

Hey all!! I have a horse with thin soles so he has breakover shoes to help his soles grow out/keep them from getting bruises. Anyway, he lost one last night (right front) and is pretty lame today on his left front. (He is lame on the one *with* the shoe). I called my vet to see if I should proceed with having the shoe put back on. She told me they can sometimes be lame from the imbalance, esp with thicker shoes like breakover shoes, so I should have him re-shod and then reevaluate his gait. I’ve had lots of horses and none have been this lame after losing a shoe. So either he’s a drama king or there’s something else wrong. Have any of you had horses who go super lame after pulling a shoe? TIA

2. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

I had a horse with a club foot that if he lost his good foot shoe he would crack that good foot due to the imbalance.

spec likes this.
  3. spec

spec Full Member

I took her to the farrier to have the shoe put back on. Had the other shoe pulled to have a look. Abscess under the shoe. Pulled the other one probably because she was walking funny. Epsom salt soaks and iodine wraps here we come. :)

4. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

It could be from the imbalance or its psssible that what ever gymnastic event pulled the othe shoe cause injury or a slightly sprung shoe on the other side.

spec likes this.
  5. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

There ya go, glad you figured it out. ;)

spec and manesntails like this.
  6. RG NIGHT HEIR

RG NIGHT HEIR Senior Member

Yup that tells you that horses don't create drama,but just simply tell us something hurts.

spec and manesntails like this.
  7. spec

spec Full Member

I know I know... when I get bored I get stupid. Didn’t expect to be able to get to the farrier’s place so quick. Made a post before I had things figured out. I’m going nuts.:confused:

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  8. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Eh, it'll keep you busy for a bit. Tbh, it was a bit odd so completely justified feeling stymied IMO. ;)

spec likes this.
  9. spec

spec Full Member

True. I’ve never dealt with these kinds of shoes before so I wasn’t sure how much discomfort being uneven would cause.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.