Is Bute safe for a Dog?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Commanderkins, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Commanderkins

Commanderkins Senior Member+

My little dog got roughed up, and is in pain, and would like to give him some anti-inflammatories...without going to the vet....please don't jump on me about not taking him, I don't take my animals in for every bump and bruise, esp. if I can treat and do it myself:) so any info would be great
    Thanks

2. MyBelgianAzzy

MyBelgianAzzy Senior Member+

No! It's too strong, and could easily burn away his stomach lining. It would be very hard to dose correctly as well- it would be very easy to OD him!

3. Commanderkins

ok, thanks MBA!:) I wasn't too sure, I have bute at home...and for some reason, I can picture on the label of the bottle a cow, horse, and dog, or something like that...I guess the poor little guy will have to suffer through a little bit:)
    Thanks!

4. MyBelgianAzzy

MyBelgianAzzy Senior Member+

LOL It's ok to give them aspirin, I believe- maybe a another member could confirm and suggest a dosage? I can't rmeember if it's aspirin or ibuprofen that is OK.

5. Commanderkins

I am a little leary of aspirin....but maybe if i know the correct dosage...I just got off the phone with the vet clinic, and the tech was putting me down for not bringing him in!! I'm sorry, but no, this is something I feel I can handle, and if anything changes like temp, or infection, for sure I'll bring him in...but god those techs walk around like they went to school for seven years!!!!

ticks me right off!!!!:flaming:

6. Acme Acres

Acme Acres Senior Member+

You can give dogs Bute, but as it was said, if you HAVE to and can guestimate, that's one thing... we did do it with my Mom's hybrid one time and she was fine. But that was us and our dog. Here's what Petmeds had on their site: (oh, and the asprin... make sure it's buffered).
    Phenylbutazone is used for the relief of pain and inflammation caused by arthritis. It is available as 100 mg and 1000 mg (1 gm) scored tablets. The usual dose is 1.5-7.0 mg/pound by mouth every 8 hours. The maximum dose per dog is 800 mg/day regardless of weight. Do not use in cats. Do not use in pregnant or nursing animals. Give with food. (sold per tablet)

So with that, our 75 pound Border Collie would be safe getting a 1/2 gram of Bute a day... but I'd break it into 2 portions.

7. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

You're much safer getting some arnica tablets/pills and using that - it's a great holistic remedy for bruising.

8. Commanderkins

thanks Jules!

9. HJ049

HJ049 Full Member

You can give him childrens/baby aspirin. After my dog was spayed, when she came home she was in a bit of pain, and we were told by the vet to give her baby aspirin.

10. Acme Acres

Acme Acres Senior Member+