Is Acti-Flex 4000 really that good?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by prettyqtrs, Nov 7, 2010.

1. prettyqtrs

prettyqtrs Senior Member+

I'm getting low on my Cosequin, and while I usually order from horse.com, looks like they raised their price a little, and valleyvet.com has it on sale, so planned on putting an order through with them. However, I remembered a few members mentioning that they like Acti-Flex 4000, so out of curiousity I went to Big Dee's website and looked to see what the ingredients are. Looks like the Acti-Flex has higher levels of chrondroitin and glucosamine than the Cosequin, plus it has additional ingredients that Cosequin doesn't have. And, I think it's cheaper per horse. Not including any shipping costs...I give my horses 2 scoops of Cosequin per day, so I'm paying, say even on the sale price of $155 for Cosequin in the large bucket that will last me 212 days, .73/day per horse...whereas the Acti-Flex is $85 for a gallon that would last me 128 days, .66/day per horse. If I did my math right, haha.
    It's not that I'm unhappy with my Cosequin, that's all I've ever used, and it works good. But if there's something on the market that works better, and is cheaper...is it worth my $85 (+shipping) to give it a try?
    Is it safe for broodmares? Breeding stallions?

2. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member+

yes, it is safe for broodmares and breeding stallions. I've been using it for years (i add extra MSM) and have been thrilled with the results. it has some of the highest levels of everything except MSM and is one of the cheapest.

3. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

It's great if it works for your horse ;)

It's usually cheaper, often a LOT cheaper, to add your own MSM.

4. prettyqtrs

prettyqtrs Senior Member+

Thanks for the input. :)

Anybody else have anything to add?

5. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member+

I use it and add extra MSM as well. LOVE it. I always recommend it. And Big Dees is the best place to buy it!

6. equestsarah81

equestsarah81 Senior Member+

7. Ittakes2totango

Ittakes2totango Senior Member+

I don't use it but I have heard great things about it.:) I use SmartFlex Senior and am thrilled with how nice and fluid Daisy has been moving compared to when I had her on Cosequin.:)

8. Horse_Girl9804

Horse_Girl9804 Senior Member

Ditto for the most part. I use the same MSM, I add a half dose of the stuff she's got a link to.

I've used the stuff for a couple years, my mare has done GREAT! I tried Ortho-Chon, Majesty's Flex Wafers, MFW+Conquer HA gel, Platinum joint, etc. I saw an improvement in about a week after switching.

I'm currently using the Acti-Flex Senior, b/c my mare is older (16) I figured it couldn't hurt. It has probiotics in it. It runs $0.53 cents a day, and I think when I calculated that I included the shipping cost. Frequently Big Dee's has specials with free shipping, or $5 off or something like that.

My vet uses Cosequin ASU or whatever it is that has the extra fats in it. Her navicular horse, and HUS horse than has whacko feet have done well on it, but that's in addition to joint injections and corrective shoing.

If my AF4000 ever stopped working, I'd try Cosequin.

I also use the liquid AF4000 for my 90# 11 year old dog and my 6 month old cat (to help prevent inflammation, he had several toes amputated and my vet thought it couldn't hurt to put him on an arthritis supplement)

As I'm also constantly reminded by one vet: Nutrecuticals aren't regulated by anyone. They don't always have in them what the label says they do. Cosequin is proven to have what it says in does in it, and is proven to work.

9. equestsarah81

equestsarah81 Senior Member+

I forgot to mention that I only use half the dose of the MSM too...

10. Horse_Girl9804

Horse_Girl9804 Senior Member

I DID see an improvement when I added the MSM a few months ago.