is a morgan friesian cross possible?!?!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Horse Breeding' started by tofame, Apr 7, 2012.

1. tofame

tofame Full Member

i love both breeds. And was wondering what would it look like? does anyone own one? what manerisms and chacteristics would it have? Does anyone have pictures? is it a real breed? would it be a good horse? sorry i have alot of questions! :) thanks so much.

this is what i have found on them:

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/?version=3&feature=player_embedded"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/?version=3&feature=player_embedded" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

http://friesianharts.com/frisofilly78friesian.html

http://moriesian.com/clickonourstock/studopusblackmikasa.html

[​IMG]

2. DancingArabian

DancingArabian Senior Member+

Of course it's possible :) I wouldn't call it a breed though, despite that one website you listed claiming that it is.

I don't think that you can really predict how the foal is going to come out when it's a cross like that. There' 3 Fresian crosses at my barn: FresianXQH, FresianXWB and FresianXMorgan.

The FresianXQH and FresianXWB look the most like a Fresian. The QH cross is huge and black and very sensible. The WB cross is a bay, very goofy. The Morgan cross is the least Fresian looking of them all, but you can definitely look at him and see there's Fresian in there. Big, black, has a somewhat huge and long neck - looks a little awkward, long back. Ultimately, how the foal comes out is going to depend on the sire/dam that created it. Two different breeders breeding the same crosses can be breeding for different qualities and end up with very different foals.

3 people like this.
  3. CommonSense1

CommonSense1 Senior Member+

This is not a breed and considered merely backyard breeding by many. Bad idea...

4. firegurl979

firegurl979 Senior Member+

Typically Morgan x Friesian come out looking like big hairy Morgans. Many people like the cross as its breeding like to like for the most part in type (depending on the builds of the parents of course).

2 people like this.
  5. ACCphotography

ACCphotography Senior Member+

Someone on this forum owns one and it is a lovely horse.

1 person likes this.
  6. MonteStrides

MonteStrides Senior Member

I use to own one! His morgan traits were more dominant but he was an absolutely gorgeous horse with a wonderful personality. If your looking to do dressage moriesians tend to be beautiful dressage horses as well :) Honestly, I would consider the moriesian a breed. There are actually many of them because they are a wonderful cross. I don't like many Friesian 'sporthorses' like friesians crossed with QH or paints but I have always like moriesians. Then again, I am partial to them because I owned one ;)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  7. aeternal

aeternal Senior Member+

A lot of them seem to turn out really well. I think because, unlike many Friesian crosses, it is breeding type to type. They seem to make great carriage horses and I've heard of them doing pretty well in dressage as well. They really are doing everything they can to make it a real breed, there are even breed inspections for the Moriesian and everything, in order to ensure the best are bred on.

3 people like this.
  8. possumtrot

possumtrot Senior Member+

They are more like to like but frankly I would probably prefer a good Morgan.

OP, what is it about this cross that you think is superior to either of the breeds separately?

3 people like this.
  9. CommonSense1

CommonSense1 Senior Member+

My feelings as well...

10. Barrelracing14

Barrelracing14 Full Member

I see Friesian x Morgan being more sensible than a Frieisan x QH.

Both breeds share, as mentioned, good reputations in dressage, driving. Moreso driving. Although I don't see why they can't make good hunter/jumper, dressage, or trail horses. Or just parade horses.

My local horse dealer has a Friesian x Morgan gelding named Gabriel. Here he is:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Again, mostly Morgan, but you can tell there's Friesian in there.

3 people like this.