Is a 13 hand pony suitable for an adult?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Horsefeathers3, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Horsefeathers3

Horsefeathers3 Senior Member+

I finally got around to string testing my pony gelding and he'll make it to 13 hands when he's fully mature, WOOHOO! When we adopted him we were told he'd make 12 hands tops, but I was really hoping for a larger pony and I got what I wished for.
    He's only a yearling now, so I'm obviously not going to be doing any riding on him myself for a couple more years. We originally bought him to be used as a cart pony and a backyard riding pony for my younger brothers (ages 5 and 8). But now that I know he'll be a decent size, I know I'm going to want to ride him myself when he's of age. Now I definately wouldn't be doing heavy riding at first, I of course would get him used to my weight over time. I'm 5' 4" and 135 pounds (trying to lose 15 more) so I wanted everyone's honest opinions, is that too much for a 13 hand pony?
    I think he has too much potential to just be used as a cart horse and backyard pony, I would absolutely love to do some light jumping and cutting with him, maybe some barrel racing (talk about a random mix!). I myself don't think it would be too much for him, I've ridden my friend's 13.2 hand arab cross mare and she could carry me all day long. I just wanted everyone's opinions, or pictures or stories from people who do ride ponies. Thanks everyone!

And pictures of the little devil,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chester

Chester Senior Member

He looks very much like a foal we rescued once, Sonny.

If he is a solid type when he matures, you should have no problem riding him.

3. Horsefeathers3

Chester, when we rescued Fyre he was a 3 month old that was skin and bones, we could put our fingers in between his ribs and count his vertebrae. But as it can be seen he has made a great comeback.

At this point I'm really not sure if he's going to be real solid or a bit lighter built when he's mature, but he's only a yearling so I guess I've got plenty of time to see how he grows.

4. hil529

hil529 Senior Member+

u would be surprised how much ponys can hold. sometimes they are more sturdy mounts than bigger horses. granted .. they are known to be little buggers about 99.8% of the time lol .. but thats when you gotta say ... Welcome to the Wonderful World of Ponies ;]

its hard to tell know what hes going to turn out like. if he was starved, that may have stunted his growth .. i know it stunted my ponys. so you just gota wait it out and see.

hes a cute little ****** tho. good luck with him.

5. Princess K

Princess K Full Member

I think that aslong as he isn't really skinny built he should be able to carry you quite easily. :D

he is really cute btw!!!

6. kada

kada Senior Member

Oh, what a cutie! :)

I'm 5'3, 105ish and I think I can finally call my pony 13.2 now, and she hasn't had a problem with that. I know she could easily carry up to 125 or so and could probably do more with little problem, and your boy looks like he might be pretty sturdily built. And great job for taking care of him, he looks lovely.

I found my pony really is more agile and more maneuverable than an average horse, can be quite fun to ride, and is probably the smartest equine in the barn... There are some downsides though. I asked a team penner if he thought a pony could try team penning, and he seemed skeptical because the cows might not not respect something so close to its own size and might try to attack us instead. I've come to realize that the standard horse neck is a lot better for getting one out of tight spots than the barely-there neck many ponies have... (I slid down my pony's neck like a slide at a halt once after she'd gotten me off balance and then decided to graze.) And I'm sure I look a bit silly when I go riding with friends when even the 10-year-old is on a 16h horse, but we have no problems keeping up and hey, unlike them, I can mount from the ground. :wink:

Hope you join the dark side and take that pony riding once he's old enough. I bet yours has lots of personality to make up for his height... :D

7. horseyfrk145

horseyfrk145 Senior Member+

Perfectly fine!

8. Horsefeathers3

Like you can't even imagine! His expressions are just priceless and his personality is amazing. He is swet as sugar, but he's also the nosiest creature I've ever met. Just an amazing boy all around.
    Thanks everyone for your input, as always it's great to hear!

9. PhoenixChica

PhoenixChica Senior Member

My pony is oly 11.2 HH and I'm around 150 lbs., give or take a few. He can carry me just fine, even over jumps.

10. EQRider

EQRider Senior Member+

My pony is about 14 hands and she carries me pretty well, I mostly drive her though. I know I look ridiculous on her when I do light riding, I'm 5'10 so my legs hang off a bit. To be really honest, I would really see how the pony can handle the weight over the jumps and around barrels, I'm familiar with both and they require a lot of balance and weight shifting, from rider and horse. They'll probably be more challanging with a bigger rider and a smaller horse, not ideal pairs, but for backyard stuff I think it could be okay. It would kind of impede you though, you'd probaby be able to ride better on a horse more equiped to handle your size and the pony would be able to go better with just a smaller person. 12 or 13hnads, thats like REALLY small for a bigger rider...I would just see, I don't mean to be such a downer about your new pony, but I'm just trying to be realistic.