Irresponsible breeding....this really bugs me...

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by GotaDunQH, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Arem

Arem Senior Member

I'd still love to see someone tell Highbrow Cat's connections that they are irresponsible breeders for allowing a HERDA carrying stallion to be bred.

I'm sure it would be amusing,

2. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

You're not kidding!!

3. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

The now late owner and breeder specialized in breeding Classical Spanish Arabian Sport Horses, This particular line is very rare estimated to be less than 500 breeding age in the world and CA is unfortunately rampant in the line... in order to preserve the line some breeders feel it has been necessary to keep some CA carriers in the breeding pool. Czantiago is a multi national champion and they felt his benefits were important to the line. He was bred to a good friends,( who is a sport horse trainer and judge), Hanoverian mares and I think this was a driver's to have him inspected.... but I think the main thing his owner spent her life promoting Arabian Sport Horses, helped found the Arabian Sport Horse Nationals and she desired to show the sport horse world that Arabians can jump.

I have Spanish Arabians and have only choose to breed clear horses.... and I hope that now with the available CA test that in a 3 generations there will be enough clear horse to breed that no-one will need to breed the carriers.

firegurl979 likes this.
  4. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Not only do they breed him, they cloned him to create another Herda Carrier that they could not register AQHA and are breeding the un-shown, unregistered, Herda carrier.....

ChestersMomma and ginster like this.
  5. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

A cutting horse who is HERDA afflicted does no good in the show pen. I'm pretty sure the responsible owners are getting their mares tested And not wasting 11 months waiting on a H/H foal who will be useless UNLIKE the HYPP + foals who will be "bigger" than their counterparts.

I know of one girl who bred to a stallion for a cutting horse, the foal ended up HERDA + and she sued the stallion owner, they'd hid the stallion's status....

6. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

And then? Are you willing to force these people who breed them to offer all those non halter champion offspring that are not good riding horses a good lifetime home?

No, they just add to the population of horses nobody wants. If you want halter horses, then you have have a horse meat industry (just as you breed beef cattle)

7. sherian

sherian Senior Member

its one thing to make a personal choice on breeding a carrier but to force that choice unknowingly on someone else is pretty low

kodemiester, CowCatcher, Arem and 2 others like this.
  8. palimino57

palimino57 Senior Member

SLC once again you are deluded. No one breeds Herda Carriers to carriers knowingly now that testing is available. Unlike LWO where it is done often. You also seem to have forgotten the worst one of the bunch PSSM which has multiple strains and is more widespread then anyone can imagine, especially now with the additional strains being added. Herda in its recessive form has NO impact on a horse, WHATSOEVER. Nadda. Nilch. Same with Gbed. Nadda. HYPP and PSSM are the ones people REALLY need to be cautious of, and need to breed insanely responsibly (yet you get many who promote the breeding of PSSM horses still). Yet you somehow missed PSSM in your rant, guess cause its not mainstream enough for you to take note, which again proves the issue. These issues have arisen from a restricted/overused gene pool, and you now want to restrict it by as much as 60% and hope for the best? I'm sorry I believe in using 60% to move forward, rather then 40% to help reduce the chance of new genetic conditions arising.

I have met 12 horses with PSSM and know of 6 euthanised due to suffering in the last year alone. I have never in all my years, and owning over 250 horses, ever met a Herda afflicted horse, even before testing was available.

9. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

AQHA reports in 2015 that there are 2,415,358 registered quarter horse in the US and 61,282 foals registered with AQHA in 2015.... it seems like there should be plenty of gene pool to choose from.

ChestersMomma likes this.
  10. Arem

Arem Senior Member

How many of those are geldings?
    How many colts and stallions are breeding worthy?
    How many of the mares and fillies out of those are breeding worthy?
    How many are actually any good at doing more than lumbering down the trail or doing local shows?
    How many of those are closely related?

As you go down the list, the seemingly large "breeding pool" gets smaller and smaller and smaller.