Irresponsible breeding....this really bugs me...

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by GotaDunQH, Jan 10, 2017.

1. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

So, a friend of mine that I know from FB, does halter horses on the Amateur level, but is looking to breed "up" to the top show AQHA show levels. He's been putting feelers out there for a suitable 5 panel neg and NN stud to breed his mare too. He SPECIFIED in his post.....NO NH studs, must be World Champs with World Champ babies. So, some people post options and then 2 wannabees post that with his mare he NEEDS to breed to an NH stud to get a good baby. And if it's a show prospect then a resale, why should he care if he breeds to an NH stud...meaning why should he care if the baby is NH. I was INFURIATED!!!!

Here's the response I left and the one I got from one of the yahoos:

"Just a little saddened to see a couple people trying to talk you into an NH stud Paul. IMHO, that's irresponsible breeding.....taking the chance on perpetuating a genetic mutation. You don't need NH to have a kick ass halter horse, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise."
    Like · Reply · 1 · 4 hrs
    [​IMG]
    Nancy Olson
    I'm not trying to talk him into anything, his horse, his money, his decision. I just asked why he was against a nice NH stud."

I mean DUH....isn't it obvious why breeding to NH is not good?

Some people a 2x4 well-placed across their forehead.

2. cassiebaby150

cassiebaby150 Senior Member

I completely agree that breeding NH horses or horses that carry PSSM as well is absolutely ridiculous and irresponsible! It always upsets me to see people advertising their stallions that have any genetic disorder. My mare's sire is a carrier of PSSM and the breeder failed to mention that until after I bought her. Luckily she tested negative.

HunterEq95 and firegurl979 like this.
  3. palimino57

palimino57 Senior Member

I totally understand. I also am against passing on PSSM. I do hate that Herda and Gbed get lumped in the same categories, as responsibly breeding Herda and Gbed horses to create a larger gene pool of NN horses is a sensible way to move forward, but not HYPP and PSSM.

Arem likes this.
  4. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

I don't think there is anything responsible about breeding horses with HERDA or Gbed either.

If people stopped breeding animals with these sorts of conditions eventually they'd be non existent.

5. palimino57

palimino57 Senior Member

Hamerface you are entitled to your opinion. People seem to forget these 5 tests are the tip of the iceberg. And the tests are only available due to the fact they are in the most common of successful/used bloodlines.

Lets try it this way:
    You have 1000 otherwise breeding worthy horses. 300 are PSSM or HYPP
    300 are Herda or GBED
    400 are 5 panel NN.

If you remove the 600 from the gene pool, you have 400 remaining. Those 400 are then expected to repopulate the entirety of future generations. Whoops, now PSSM2 and 3-5 are testable, there goes another 150, now down to 250. Those 250 become the sole breeding population, which then results in the same line breeding numbers as what generated the first mutations in the first place. That is science. On top of the other unknowns, and 5+ tests also currently in the works.
    IMO I prefer to look at it like this:

You have 1000 otherwise breeding worthy horses. 300 are PSSM or HYPP
    300 are Herda or GBED
    400 are 5 panel NN.

Nix the 300 PSSM/HYPP. THat leaves a larger gene pool, off 400 the 300 can use to create a wider range of bloodlines available with NN offspring, before the next test comes available for a dominant gene that requires a massive gene pool cull.

6. sherian

sherian Senior Member

I am in the same camp as GottaDunQH.
    Interesting to see how different breeds react to genetic diseases - a few years ago an Arab stud was in the 70 day test used for stallion breeding approvals by warmblood registries. He was a carrier for CID. All holy hell broke loose among the warmblood breeders, Arab people were blase. Horse did not meet standards so it became a moot point but interesting to hear the arguments from both sides.

Friesiangirl likes this.
  7. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Nah, there's no guarantee that they wouldn't survive that.o_O

kodemiester and Mirage like this.
  8. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

One of the reasons I tend to tick people off frequently on FB. Was even kicked off a foal page for calling some moron out on knowingly breeding a Lethal White carriers.. Didn't care if he lost a few here and there

HunterEq95 and Serenity06 like this.
  9. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

At least with Herda it takes a carrier bred to a carrier to get a Herda baby. The others they can have just half the gene and pass it on or even actually have the disease like hypp. So I don't believe in breeding for a disease just so that there can more horses with diseases like hypp to die from. To me that isn't being a responsible breeder.

10. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Theres morones everywhere. Oblivious to or non caring about putting a stop to genetic problems because..it "might" not occur and who cares anyway - it's the future breeders responsibility. Ignorant and irresponsable imo and part of the reason the colour breeds still are having problems. Idk, people breeding for color get a bad rep and you woder why. Duh.

edited - borrowed device..might see español or gramatical errors on posts till I get mine back.

HunterEq95 likes this.