Irony is....

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Arem, Apr 12, 2018.

1. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

I thought flattery was the opposite of wrinkly :rofl:

2. Binca

Binca Senior Member

When you have wrinkly you get the irony to make the flattery ;)(y)

Dream27, bellalou, lucky_pine and 7 others like this.
  3. Ms_Pigeon

Ms_Pigeon Senior Member

My fridge has at least three Horizon products in it right now! I love them even more learning you're involved. :D

ibsammy, Dona Worry and Arem like this.
  4. ibsammy

ibsammy Senior Member

Thats the only stuff I buy :p Of course, I dont drink milk, just cream (keto).

Dona Worry likes this.
  5. Blondehorse

Blondehorse Senior Member

Since we're pretty much giving the milk away for free these days, what dairy farmer CAN afford to buy products made with their own milk? :(

6. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

It's a scary time. We are doing ok right now. We have lost $6 per cwt in the last 8 months, and our new contracts S U C K and we need to sign them by June, but, so far, we are still on the truck, so far we are still getting paid an ok price.
    Our neighbors are not organic, and you can literally watch their farms starting to fall apart. :(
    They aren't just giving their milk away. They are getting paid less than it cost to produce it. And with the minimum wage set to go up this year. . .
    This time next year, there will be fewer farms in my town. Possibly a lot fewer. (n)

Charliemyheart and Blondehorse like this.
  7. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

That's so sad. When I was born, there were more cows than people in Vermont. And during my childhood, you couldn't drive down a single road without coming across farm after farm. Farming was the chief industry. Now it's tourism and nobody who actually lives there makes any money from that.

The dairy buyout of the 70s decimated the landscape and it's never really recovered, so far as I can see. I drove from Brattleboro to the New York border on Route 30 last time I was in Vermont and I think I saw maybe 2 working farms. Used to be there were dozens. You could see what was left - barns sagging and a lot of open land with nothing in it.

I don't know the answers. I just know it makes me terribly sad.

manesntails likes this.
  8. Blondehorse

Blondehorse Senior Member

We aren't organic, but we are scraping by. I think last month was our first milk check that didn't cover costs. Fingers crossed it's the only one... you can only have so many checks like that before you go under.
    I'm glad we haven't been told that they can't take our milk any longer, like so many farms have.
    I don't have all the answers on how to fix it, but somehow some things need to change!

9. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you too. Good luck.
    And, feel free to add a favorite cow to the Moo thread!

ginster and Blondehorse like this.
  10. Charliemyheart

Charliemyheart Senior Member

I just agreed to a tour at Crookston at 9:45 am on the 18th. When they are 4 and half hours away.

That I had to explain what happened to me as I was screaming in pain from a broken rib.

And lastly I got better care as a trans person from a small hospital in small town Minnesota a hour north of the cities than I did at one in the cities last night. Once I was in pain meds that is.

ginster likes this.