Inventing one's own system of terminology and writing a book...on...dressage....

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by slc, Apr 24, 2018.

1. slc

slc Senior Member

I won a gift card and went out and bought some books. Yay! Had fun.

But....I found something odd. In almost every one of the books on dressage, the author had invented a new system of terminology that you can only find out by buying the book reading it, taking notes.

For....well...everything, pretty much.

This might not be true in other riding sports so bear with me - in dressage, we have a very set, clear, concise set of terminology. Been the same for a long time. Very adequate. Nothing wrong with it. Way, way too much to learn without every teacher inventing their own terminology.

Everyone - well - ALMOST everyone, I GUESS - uses the same terminology. I can pretty much take a dressage lesson in England, France, Germany....the UKRAINE, DETROIT...even the sunny San Fernando Valley..HECK ANYWHERE, and I can understand what the person is telling me, because everyone uses the same terminology.

The whole beauty of it has always been that you can go and get instruction from anyone and understand what they mean, all over the world, even. Regardless of level. Same with judging. Everyone uses the same words the same way.

2. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

Okay...?

So are you going to share some of this unique terminology and see if anyone else has heard of it? What is the point of this post?

3. slc

slc Senior Member

No, as that would identify the individual author. Just asking about the general idea.

Since in many disciplines of riding different trainers and instructors traditionally invent their own jargon or re-use existing terms in their own way, this issue might not seem like an issue at all.

Sounds like you're already heavily leaned in that direction, LOL. I think that will be true for a lot of people who haven't really encountered it as a system.

It's a bit different in dressage; we have what amounts to a uniform world wide communication system. I can and have taken lessons or ridden sale horses in France (while barely even understanding French, even), and the Netherlands, without encountering hardly one term or phrase I haven't heard before. The same would happen if I went to a German or Danish dressage instructor, or a Russian. It's not just the phrases or terminology, this applies to the aids used for specific movements as well and to figures, exercises, methods, the terms judges use to mark the tests, etc. It's basically a unified international language.

A lot of this is because there is an international organization that defines the sport, the terminology and a lot of the training, plus that the leaders in the sport (Germany, for a long time) have long had an official manual with carefully defined terms and methods, that many riders and trainers world wide learned from.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  4. Ms_Pigeon

Ms_Pigeon Senior Member

Sadly inevitable, I'd say, when people are trying to sell books, tools, merchandise, etc.

"Try my BRAND NEW, incredibly different, trademark-registered DRUH-SAJ horse system! Just $199.99! Act now, and you'll also receive my patent-pending BRY-DULL and REYYNS: just pay separate shipping and handling!"

ginster and slc like this.
  5. slc

slc Senior Member

EXACTLY. That's a big, big problem. That's just commercialized greed. The Parellis tried very hard to do that - inventing a 'contact' game and all sorts of other things the average dressagey guy or gal would just...laugh at, because the Parellis just weren't really getting it.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Oh yeah. They are into the cha ch$ng aspect of horses. Even got into Parelli housewares, decor etc. Headshakingly funny in a way.

7. slc

slc Senior Member

Not when it lames horses.

8. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Pardon?

9. slc

slc Senior Member

I meant Parelli is not funny when he lames horses in other words the horses are off balance, crooked, incorrect contact, trying to do dressage, that's not good for them physically.

10. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

People lame up horses, correct usage of judgement in application of principles doesn't.