Introducing....

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Arem, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Someone is going to be a TANK when he’s all grown up.
    9056C1DF-CB4D-45E3-ACD0-55ADCC6A9D92.jpeg

He’s doing awesome at standing tied. Lunging is still a little bumpy (for both of us lol I hate juggling line and whip! But I haven’t had the arena to myself enough to turn him loose) but I feel like we had a breakthrough today!

I did a little too good of a job teaching him to stop/yield to pressure on the halter so I think that was/is a big part of the problem. (I like that he’d rather respond that way than try to pull away from me, though) So I made sure to keep driving body language and encourage him to go forward and turn the circle instead of stop. We had all kinds of distractions that helped him learn that today. Lol

When we were done with that I did more jumping next to him and leaning against him and petting and patting his other side. I also added in some yielding his head to the side and a little tiny bit of sidepassing to our normal. It’s hard to get the saddle pad to phase him anymore. I have to practically throw it at his head to get a reaction. (That was accidental... the first time. :p)

He’s a rockstar.

His favorite reaction to “I don’t like this, how do I make it stop?” Is to try to bite it. :rolleyes: Sometimes instead of yielding to pressure, he reaches around to try to grab the stick and pull it away. Smarty pants with a sense of humor, this one.

2. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Does string test work on a 2 year old? And how do I do it if it does?

3. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

I use the same method as @equinitis . Run a string from the ergot to the tip of the elbow. Leave string at elbow, and turn upside down to the withers to see how much more growth you will get. In other words, distance between ergot to elbow = distance from elbow to wither at height maturity.

Arem, endurgirl and equinitis like this.
  4. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

That is the beauty of the way I do it, it works on all ages. Use it on Brandi and when you flip the string, it should stop at the top of her withers.

5. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Yay! I’ll have to find me some string and see what I get. :D

6. barrel_racer64

barrel_racer64 Senior Member

I think you can measure from the center of the fetlock joint to the center of the knee (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and the length in inches is how tall they should be, so 14.5 inches would be 14.2 hands.

Arem likes this.
  7. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

I think it’s centre of knee to coronet band, flollowing the contour of the leg, rather than pulling it tight.

Lol, someone else can correct me if I’m wrong :D

ginster and Arem like this.
  8. Arem

Arem Senior Member

String test results:
    @equinitis way says he’ll grow about a hand or a little more in height.
    The other way says he’ll finish at about 15 hands.

I need to measure his actual height exactly. I tried to do with my iPhone, but I’m not sure I did it right. :ROFLMAO: He’s somewhere around 13 hands. If that’s the case, first estimate says he’ll finish at or slightly above 14 hands. If he is a lttle over 13 hands (instead of exactly), then the finishing out close to 15 hands could be correct by both.

Personally, looking at him and standing next to him (before I even measured him), I feel like it’s possible he could finish around 15 hands. Even though he’s currently a little shorter than Brandi, he feels “bigger.”

Today in pony kindergarten, we learned how to wear a bit. As you can see, he’s very impressed.
    15E841D6-0497-461A-A428-037D9C4E5AEF.jpeg
    (That was after I worked him. I almost forgot a picture!)

I started out with just turning him loose in the arena and free lunging him. That was... interesting. :p But he started to get the hang of paying attention to me and not getting stuck in corners investigating things. He got pretty hot because he zoomed around like a crazy horse for a bit, but we ended on a good note with him looking at me for direction.

Then I put him on the lunge line with the bridle on to we could reinforce our lunging skills at (hopefully :p) slower speeds while I cooled him out. He, of course, tried to spit it out and was generally unimpressed with the whole situation, but once I got him busy doing stuff, his mouth quieted down and he carried the bit very well. He was pretty chill with it by the end, even standing and doing nothing.

Even though I’ll be starting him in a hackamore, I want him to know and be okay with carrying a bit. I’ll ride him in a snaffle a little bit here and there, too.

The other new thing I tried with him today was taking the end of my line, putting it around his middle, and giving a bit of a squeeze and release to gauge his reaction.....

And he freaked the heck out!

No, no he didn’t. :rofl: He barely reacted in any way at all. Completely relaxed. Stood like a rock. There was just enough subtle reaction to know that he did feel it and just didn’t consider it anything to be worried about.

I’m not sure what, exactly, I expected from him but that was not it. Apparently my broke horse cares more about such things than my unbroke horse. :p (She’s always been a little cinchy, but she’s better when I use a string cinch)

So I might try a saddle soon. Saddle him up and work on our normal stuff until I feel like he’s ready for some light, easy riding. Maybe get him ready to pony, saddled, off of Brandi.

9. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

This little dude is giving my ovaries cramps - for a new young horse. :faint:

I want a gelding that doesn't glare at me, and argue with me, and show his general displeasure with being asked to do anything other than what he wants to do. LOL (like most mares I deal with)

I guess I'll just follow along and watch you with him.

He's just so dang CUTE!

kodemiester and Arem like this.
  10. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Oh, he’s still sassy. :rofl::rofl:
    He’s just also still easy.:ROFLMAO:

But get a young horse anyway! They’re fun!:D