Introducing....

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Arem, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Both Brandi and Jiminy were distracted today. I blame the change in weather. :p The Border Collie also decided to try to “help” me train Jiminy today, and he was very concerned about what she was doing!

Oh, well. Good practice for both of us. :D (Yes, Jiminy, I know. Dog! We still have to listen to me, though) His little hissy fits are funny. Fortunately, being very well versed in sassy red *mare*, sassy red gelding isn’t any problem for me. :p (I am so glad he is not a dead head!)

Anyway, we worked more on listening to me even when he’s farther away on the longer line. It was bumpy, but not terrible. My plan was to tire him out a bit with that so he would stand while I do some work on his feet, but courtesy of the dog and his overdramatic fits, he ended up pretty hot and tired. I felt bad, I would have preferred to keep things quieter, but he didn’t seem to care and probably would have happily gone more. :rolleyes:

See? Not at all sorry:
    9311C392-7202-471E-8763-3D66FBEB4AB5.jpeg

While I cooled him out, we did some more give to pressure, fine tuning his leading, and carry the saddle pad around. And somethings like leaning against him and petting his other side while I do so. (He was like, what is your hand doing on that side? Not scared. Just like ?????) I tried to keep that as short and easy as possible since the learn-to-lunge-sanely session was pretty heavy.

He tied like a champ, and did pretty darn well with his feet, considering how young and I’m used to it he is. (Obviously, he’s had it dont before, but he’s fidgety and likes to try to take his foot away) I kept it short with breaks (when I chose, not him) because I don’t want it to end up a fight or a bad experience for either of us. He isn’t very fond of his feet being messed with and especially not the clubbed one. We’ll have to add playing with the feet into our normal routine. I should have sooner, actually. But I don’t have any complaints.

Feet pics!
    6888B52A-0E7E-45C6-9B9B-BADD2C32DAB1.jpeg

Still work to be done, obviously, but Rome wasn’t built in a day.

I worked with him first for a change because I wanted to make sure that I had enough time for him feet. So I smelled like him for the first time when I went out to get Brandi. And you’d better believe she checked THAT out. She did some investigating in the arena, too. Lol

What she thinks of it all:
    FF266B01-2688-42B6-8354-17C1E9328A27.jpeg

2. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

whoodoggie that is a serious club. Looks better with just the minor trim.

3. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Yeah. :rofl::rofl::rofl:
    His toe is super weird right now, too, but it’s hard to see unless you pick it up and look at the bottom. I didn’t feel like messing with solar shots today, though.

4. Arem

Arem Senior Member

I really want to get that “good foot” rockered more on the toe. It’s bugging me. :rofl:
    I might look at the heels on the club a little more, but beyond that I’ll leave them for a couple weeks and see what we have.

Although I’m handling them lots and lots in between. :p He really wasn’t bad, at all, but young and feisty is more worrisome to work on than older and tolerant. :D I still have to do his hinds. :help: I hate the hinds on any horse.

The lunging was interesting. As a rule, I don’t want to lunge him a lot but I want him to be able to do. So I’d get him going around at a nice walk or trot, nice and easy. And the he’d notice the dog watching eagerly in the corner, waiting to “help.” And he’d go, “oh!!” An stop and look. I’d soft ask forward. More loudly ask forward. ASK FORWARD. And he’d go, “FINE!!!” And buck, jump, then rocket launch around. I’d bring him back down and we’d repeat. And repeat. And repeat. He was doing reasonably well by the end.

I am TERRIBLE at juggling a line and a whip so what I might do next time, since the arena is small, is just turn him loose and show him I can still control his feet. That way I can focus more on clear body language. But I haven’t decided yet....

Or maybe we should go back down to a shorter line. Or I should move on to something else and we can revisit that later....

*ponders possibilities*

5. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

Don't make him too good, his price might go up :rofl:

6. Arem

Arem Senior Member

The risk I take. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Do you think I can teach him to respond “badly” on command?:hah:

7. ~tiffy~

~tiffy~ Senior Member

Dang! I’m suddenly very hopeful for his feet. Very nice job!

Arem likes this.
  8. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

Definitely go off line with him first. And if he gets hot and tired before he listens that's on him, and he'll learn that it's easier to just listen than run. Lol. I still wonder if he's Freckles Playboy bred. He screams that in every picture. :rofl:

9. magoo320mj

magoo320mj Senior Member

I was thinking the same thing! D is FP on top and this kid reminds me SO much of him.

Congrats Arem! I can't wait to see how he progresses.

Puddincup and Arem like this.
  10. FluffyThoroughbred

FluffyThoroughbred Full Member

He’s looking quite lovely!!