Introducing....

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Arem, Mar 2, 2019.

1. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

Had a project pony a few years ago with a friend, and he was fun. But the funds don't allow it at the moment. I have a friend with a young guy that she really really needs help with that I've done a bit of work with, but she's an hour away from me and won't actually cosistently keep up with having me out to help her so it's turned into a waste of my time.

One day again!

Arem likes this.
  2. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Busy busy busy day for me!

I decided to introduce Jiminy to the saddle today since I can’t seem to phase him with anything else. I brought the saddle out, showed it to him, he was curious. Swung it towards him like I was going to put it on him a few times. A little worried at first, then fine. I put it up on him. Fine. My mistake was letting the offside stirrup go down on his side. The world suddenly ended. Jumped up and squirted off. The saddle eventually slipped off (which is exactly why I used my big sturdy can-take-a-beating ranch saddle) and that was super scary, too.

Oh well. Try again. Repeated all the steps. All was good. Got the saddle on. Good. Tried letting the offside stirrup down off the horn again, more carefully this time, and... nope. Repeat of before.

Repeat all previous steps again. Put saddle back on. All is good. I leave the stirrup on the horn this time. He’s a-okay with the saddle just hanging out on his back. Pulled the saddle back off and decided to work with him on putting the saddle on on his off side before we work on letting the stirrup down. (And I really just didn’t want my poor saddle in the dirt again.)

Does NOT want the saddle on his off side. No, ma’am! Do not want. So my arms got a workout getting him okay with the saddle being near him on that side. It took a long time, but I finally got the saddle up on his back on that side, and I called it good. Saddle on, saddle off. Work on easy familiar things for a little bit to end on a hopefully low-pressure note and put him back.

Looks like we’ll be spending a lot of time just getting accustomed to the saddle being near him, touching him, and coming on and off on both sides. I wish I had another way to get him accustomed to things touching his off side while I’m on the on side, but I can’t get that reaction with my hand, the saddle pad, the whip, nothing. So I’ll have to figure out how to puzzle through it.

3. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

See if anyone has a surcingle- that’ll get ya the same reaction I bet ;)

ginster and Arem like this.
  4. Arem

Arem Senior Member

It wasn’t the saddle tightening, though. Or even it sitting on his back. It was the stirrup dropping and touching his side. Unless I found one, put it across his back, and let it flop on his side? I’m not sure anyone has one, though.....

Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.
  5. Arem

Arem Senior Member

All I can think about it what will happen when I eventually get him okay with the saddle and stirrups and it’s eventually my *leg* that goes over and touches his side. :faint:

We’re going to do a LOOOOOT of the stirrups flopping once we get to the point of actually cinching on Mr Saddle.

kodemiester likes this.
  6. kodemiester

kodemiester Senior Member

Arem... could you find a couple boat buoy to attach to a surcingle? Or eventually the saddle? That might do some good flopping around with out your legs having to be the testers. :ROFLMAO: They have some “weight” to them and do a good job of flopping around everywhere.

Arem likes this.
  7. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Boat bouy is going to be hard to come by :p It’s a good idea, though!

kodemiester likes this.
  8. cowgirlcasanova

cowgirlcasanova Full Member

They’re cheap at Walmart!

Arem likes this.
  9. tucklove

tucklove Senior Member

Just use milk jugs. I like to put the pad on and pull it off and let it fall on the ground. Over and over until they don't move. I do the same thing with a sacrificial saddle. Put it on, pull it and let it fall to the ground. Most of my stuff I do with them loose, this I do haltered up. I completely ignore their reactions, just head back over to the saddle like it's my one chore for the day. Go back to just the saddle pad, lift the saddle, throw it down nearby. You'll get your arms worked for sure, but it does a nice job getting them sacked out.

equinitis, kodemiester and Arem like this.
  10. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Yup that was my idea.

Arem likes this.