Introducing....

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Arem, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Arem

Arem Senior Member

BE607A09-201B-4B5C-9DDA-05D6BA6F1521.jpeg

He’s not mine-mine (yet) But the opportunity to work with this young fellow just dropped into my lap. He belongs to the new owners of the barn I board at (in actually meeting them they seem super nice). He’s got a heck of a club foot so they don’t feel he’ll hold up to their (high) level of competition. So, since I had mentioned that I was hoping to get a young horse when I can afford it, they decided to give me the chance to work with him!

They call him Tripp. There’s a chance he could officially become mine down the road. I want to see how things go with him and what I think about his club foot in the context of what I want to do. Either way, it’s a win/win for all of us. And he’ll have a nice little handle on him.

I intend to bring him along vaquero/californio style with the bosal hackamore. Like I did with Brandi when I restarted her. (Only hopefully better this time. :D)

5941FA7B-D6B2-4BAF-8D7C-46AC258CA932.jpeg
    524FD696-E64E-4F4D-B90D-F5575F0D36A3.jpeg
    BA4579E1-3CAB-4FA8-82EC-E69C39848B98.jpeg

2. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

Hes adorable. The name Tripp and a club foot do not bode well :eek2::ROFLMAO: Tripp is my nephews name so I love it :D

3. Arem

Arem Senior Member

My thoughts exactly. So I’m not actually calling him that.:rofl:

I’ll probably nick-name him “Junior” :p
    If I renamed him, (if I can or if he becomes officially mine) I’d most likely call him Banner. Although I’ve debated “Jiminy” because I was going to name a mare, “Cricket” and if he was she, he totally looks like a “Cricket.” :ROFLMAO:

4. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

Jiminy is awesome! I like all those options.

Arem likes this.
  5. barrel_racer64

barrel_racer64 Senior Member

Theres the cute boy! I can't wait to see your updates with him. Hopefully E-girl and I can join you in a rodeo-free red baby starting. OOOHHH @endurgirl any excitement with getting Mia started yet?

endurgirl, kodemiester and Arem like this.
  6. Arem

Arem Senior Member

I think I’m going to have to take it nice and slow to stay rodeo free with this guy. :rofl::help::rofl:

As I learned in our little “get to know each other” session today, he can get pretty explosive if he feels overwhelmed.

He did so well, though! We worked on focus (hard!), giving to pressure, and yielding hind and fore quarters. We also did a little a work on tying. Not long, though. As soon as he stood still for just a little, I went and got him (while he was still standing) and put him away. I didn’t want to end up there all night waiting a long stand. :p

I hung out with him for a bit in his pen after, working on getting the dreads out of his super long mane. He was perfectly happy to stand still with me out there loose. I got about halfway through before he lost patience. I quit while I was ahead and he still liked hanging out with me. :p

cowgirlcasanova likes this.
  7. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Very cute, maybe you can work on the hoof. I'm looking forward to your updates and lots of pictures!
    I agree...Definitely do not call him Tripp, lol.
    You will always improve each time you work with a new horse. You'll learn so much and have am amazing time. It will be a great adventure to find out his strengths (and yours). Yay!

Alsosusieq2 and Arem like this.
  8. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Tripp :rofl::rofl:

That’s wicked. How old is he? He’s cute.

Alsosusieq2 and Arem like this.
  9. Arem

Arem Senior Member

He’s two. :)

mooselady likes this.
  10. Arem

Arem Senior Member

I’m hoping so! I looked at it a bit today, and boy is it a club foot. It’s worse than Brandi’s. I don’t think it will ever look pretty, but hopefully I can help keep it healthy and sound. He’s got itty bitty upright feet in general so I’m sure that’s what contributes.

I’m so excited to see what I learn!