Introducing...

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by tucklove, Nov 1, 2017.

1. tucklove

tucklove Senior Member

Preacher! Quite the adventure getting this one including an escape from the corral and a 9 hour trailer ride home- blehg. Little horse is not conformationally perfect, I'm aware, but he is fine for what I do.

He is nine months old and full of attitude, lol. Today he learned about moving away from people when told and moving off of food, basically that he's not in charge. So, he got pretty sweaty even though we only had a 20 minute session. Began with charging and double-barrel kicking, ended nicely leaving food and facing up for pets. Not too bad for the first day with the feral horse.

Basically, a woman feeds a feral herd so they don't wander all over and end up shot, then she finds homes for the babies in exchange for hay for the herd. The babies end up pretty pushy from her giving them treats and whatnot, but she does it so they are easy to catch so take the good with the bad on that one. Not a debate on what she's doing, just some background on why he's so spoiled for a wild horse.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ms_Pigeon

Ms_Pigeon Senior Member

Congratulations! I look forward to seeing his progress.

3. gaitedboomer

gaitedboomer Senior Member

He is cutie for sure:). He sounds like a quick study:idea::idea:

Nothing wrong with going thru the back door, if it means saving a good horse:cowgirl:

4. Puddincup

Puddincup Full Member

He's adorable!! Can't wait to see how he matures!

5. D_BaldStockings

D_BaldStockings Senior Member

So how much hay did he cost?

Looks like a sturdy fellow who hasn't been short of groceries.

And yes, I have an issue with his origins, since it seems an endless loop, but we can't go there.

6. SkyeTiger

SkyeTiger Senior Member

Gorgeous stocky boy! I can’t wait to watch his progress. :)

Any idea on breed?

7. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Well hallo Preacher-!! Congratulations, he's a cute and stocky youngster. ;)

8. tucklove

tucklove Senior Member

Endless loop, yes, but at least she gets the fillies and colts out of this herd so they don't go off and do more reproducing. Not a great solution in any direction except more responsible horse ownership I suppose- especially since these herds come from dumped horses over the years. Quite frustrating. The neighbors kind of keep track of the horses and while this stud and mare are known to have been born out there, at least two of the mares in the herd were dumped in the hills in the last four years. One of them halters, leads, and lets her feet be handled, but no one wants her so there she remains.

Not any real guess on breed. Apparently 30 years ago a woman turned loose 20 or so foundation QHs and a few percherons so something like that?
    Here is dad: (don't have to point him out, do I? lol)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And Mom,days before she popped here:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

GONE ROPING, CheyAut, ginster and 3 others like this.
  9. tucklove

tucklove Senior Member

He was pretty good today, moved off when I asked and faced up right away so we are making headway on getting some respect. He is a little mopey being taken from mamma, but at least Tuck and Vito have settled down and are hanging around.

Larkspade likes this.
  10. Caoimhe

Caoimhe Senior Member

Oh I love him! He looks better put together than lots of “well thought out” combos I’ve seen. :ROFLMAO:

I can’t wait to see more of him, he looks like a smart little guy too. :)

ginster and Mirage like this.