Interview Outfits

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Faster Horses, Feb 12, 2018.

1. HayleyS

HayleyS Senior Member

You do amuse me SLC. I have provided for my family, I am the solo provider for myself and my animals while still helping provide for my family, and know exactly what it is like to have to get that paycheck. But then again, I live in the real world, not the fantasy world that I have come to the conclusion you live in. Normally I laugh to myself at the majority of your posts, or share them with my best friend so we can wonder about the world you live in together. I have friends who work in law, finance, the medical field, private office land life, and I actually have a government job, so I have a pretty good idea about at least what is expected and accepted around my parts for attire. I dress nice, I look professional, and I have no need to follow your outdated guidelines. At one point in time in the history of this country you are correct in that was expected of women. It isn't in a lot of places now.

The one part of my normal work attire that I forgot is some days I am in uniform. So I have that aspect of life as well. As I said, of course you put your best foot forward in an interview, I am blessed that I haven't had to interview a whole lot in my life. I have been working for a paycheck for over half my life, I think I am a lot younger than you SLC so probably not as many years as you, and have been blessed to be in my current position for nine years now. I will say SLC, at least you don't flip flop in believing that you are God's gift to the world and know more than everyone else. I applaud that in you, takes a lot to be able to be shown your life experiences do not mean everyone else is wrong over and over and never admit you might not know it all.

OP, even though I hate interviews, and have not had to be interviewed a whole lot, I have interviewed numerous people, and helped others prepare for interviews. One thing that has helped me, and I pass on, is when you are asked a multi-part question is hold up a finger for each part of the question, of course with your hand under the table, and then put one finger down for each part you answer. Then if you think you have answered the entire question and still have a finger up you can ask them to repeat it since you will know you have missed a part. For me, when I am interviewing someone, I want them to look like they care about the job. I want to see they put an effort in to looking nice, to paying attention, and that they are as comfortable as they can be. as @DelP said, if you can't walk in heels, don't wear them. Make sure that what you wear fits, you aren't hanging out anywhere, and that you are comfortable in it. Also, body language to me means way more than what the person is wearing.

cmrtoner, GONE ROPING, Arem and 3 others like this.
  2. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

SLC I am single and the soul provider for myself and my pets. I know the life of being my only support well.
    Also you can pick and choose who you want to work for. I don't do makeup, I despise heals and there is no way on hell I am going to get my nails done. Guess what I don't apply for those jobs. It's that simple.

Arem, HayleyS and mooselady like this.
  3. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Totally with you on that one.

I've been thinking about it today as well, I'm careful how I dress for interviews, but at the same time I dress and present in a fashion that I might expect to work as, if that makes sense. If I turned up for an interview in full make up, I'd probably scare people, but if not, does that mean they expect me to turn up like that every day? I don't know I'm wondering if it's a form of lying....because that isn't me....Not sure if I'm explaining that one right.

4. Arem

Arem Senior Member

I would not work for a company that cared more about my nails than my abilities. I would go somewhere else.

Actually, you said “*you’d* rather dress like a cowgirl all day.” In reference to the poster you were replying to and that everyone else in the world would, too:

And since you said that EVERYONE wants to dress like a cowgirl, for the record, no. I would not like to dress like a “cowgirl” all day.

When I’m not working or riding, my fashion of choice is retro/70s with some bohemian flavour, thank you very much. And yes. I do have bell bottoms. :cool:

Also, I’m pretty sure my Jiu Jitsu coach and the rest of the guys don’t want to dress like cowgirls either. :hah:

Broad, sweeping statements are not your friend.

Charliemyheart and mooselady like this.
  5. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

Why did I just think Beatle juice with that combo.

6. Ziast

Ziast Senior Member

I googled pinstripe blazer for a visual of an outfit. Most of what came up was the big thick Beetle Juice stripes.
    I'm assuming OP wasn't talking about those stripes. lol

Faster Horses likes this.
  7. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

lol--nope, tiny pinstripes. :)

8. GONE ROPING

GONE ROPING Senior Member+

Why do you not live near me?!! I took over the books for my dad's companys. All agg related. I could use full time help, and it'd pay quite well.. And I WOULDN'T make you get your nails done:D

Alsosusieq2, Arem and mooselady like this.
  9. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

.....ever considered someone working remotely? ;)

Arem, mooselady and GONE ROPING like this.
  10. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

I'm so glad I am not the only one. I felt like a terrible person lol.