Interview Outfits

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Faster Horses, Feb 12, 2018.

1. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

LOL, had my first ever manicure this year, after retirement....good Job all my interviewers have been able to see past non manicured nails....clean and tidy, but never wore polish, or make up...

CabterCrazy, Arem and Faster Horses like this.
  2. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

I'll be honest--I plan to be neat, tidy, and professional. That being said, I don't plan to present myself as something I am not. If loads of makeup and done did nails are the appearance the company would like, I will not fit in well.

Alsosusieq2 and mooselady like this.
  3. slc

slc Senior Member

Nails? You betcha, to get an office job. And yeah, keep 'em that way to keep the job.

Yeah, frankly, that's the reality these days.

Sure a few office jobs are less strict, but in general, yes, they expect you to be very neat and clean, and have trimmed and buffed nails. Wild color nail paint? No. Trimmed, translucent or clear coating or buffed.

At many jobs it isn't a choice, and very often, dwelling on how it 'isn't you' and you don't think you should have to do that, just leaves you unemployed. It certainly cuts down the number of jobs you can get, as well as developing an attitude that doesn't help you keep jobs.

I don't like it any better than you do. But I have to keep my animals fed and my farm in repair and frankly, buffing my nails once or twice a week IS worth a paycheck to me! Especially when I consider the alternatives.

Fact is, in an office where you are close to other people all day, they have a LOT to say about how you smell, what you wear, and your personal hygiene, as well as just plain old appearance stuff. You have to fit in with the other people.

Sad but true. Getting along is important.

If the world allowed, I'd wear a simple burlap bag everywhere I went, never cut my hair or bathe, and make sheath cleaning an option instead of manicures.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Binca likes this.
  4. CabterCrazy

CabterCrazy Senior Member

Jesus I wonder how I have ever gotten a job before considering I never got a haircut or a manicure before hand. Nor did I cake on makeup, and I have worked in an office setting and as a saleperson.

Honestly the biggest thing is being comfortable in what you are wearing. Dress professionally but make sure you feel okay in what you wear. I used to always do a black dress suit with a coloured top underneath, or a navy blazer with navy skirt and a light coloured plain top.

You got this! Be yourself and you will be fine!

Alsosusieq2, Arem and mooselady like this.
  5. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

I figure I have nearly as much male influence than female, so I have NEVER EVER worn make up or nail polish in any job, and neither have male male counterparts....well not quite true when I worked at Virgin some of the men wore more make up than some of the girls...That has ZERO, NOTHING, NOUGHT to do with personal hygiene. You have to fit in, be clean, be tidy, wear clean clothes, be professional....But nothing would make me wear high heels and make up.

6. Ziast

Ziast Senior Member

I don't know how not wearing nail polish suddenly means you have poor hygiene. My nails usually look worse with polish since they chip, break, or tear so fast they look like trash 2 days in.

And gosh, light pink nail polish? Kill me now.

7. slc

slc Senior Member

Yes, actually. Light pink or clear, or buff your nails.

Look, I know it isn't fun and you'd rather dress like a cowgirl all day. So would everyone else in the world

But not being willing to bend a little on things that require basically zero effort and expense is going to limit the number of places you can get hired at.

YES you may get an office job without doing your nails, that is true. And I am sure many people have done so. That's not what I'm saying - I'm saying the more inflexible you are, the fewer places are going to consider you.

The key with getting a job anywhere is being adaptable, being willing to change, being able to change.

Every company is different. Some STILL won't hire people with tatoos that show. Some will. The key is the more you can adapt, the more places you can get a job at.

Binca likes this.
  8. Ziast

Ziast Senior Member

Cowgirl? Please. You have no idea how I dress. I don't even wear blue jeans. I wear heels and blazers to class. Pinks and pastels look terrible on me anyway.
    I'm a software developer. No one cares if I'm wearing nail polish. Besides, it takes a little more than no effort to re-do your nails every other day. Do you not do chores or something?

9. slc

slc Senior Member

There's no need to get huffy about it. What I said is true - some companies want you more dressy than others. It's that simple. And it's true.

And if you would turn down a decent job because they wanted you to buff your nails, all I can say is maybe you have never known what it is like to be unemployed when a family(two or four legged or both) is depending on you and you alone. My friend was single and had horses and had a very telling motto - 'I can work anywhere!' She had to, too. She had no husband whose income she could fall back on. She had to work, and keep on working. And if a place insisted she had to buff her nails, she buffed her nails.

The 'cowgirl' remark is what I WOULD wear all the time if I could. Not you. Or the burlap bag. That would be fine with me too.

When I worked at one place, I was told I needed to spend $3000 a year on clothing. That was 17 years ago. Prices have gone up since then. And that was on clothing - shoes, purses and jewelry would be an additional $3000.

When I was told that my ingenious plan - to have five identical dark navy blazers and five pairs of identical dress pants, and five identical white blouses, all of which I was told were perfectly acceptable, wasn't going to cut it, I was crushed. Just having blazers was a lot for me. And evidently it didn't go over so well when I showed up at a big meeting with a riding glove velcro'd to my back.

You're preaching to the choir, padewan, I'd love it if every company allowed casual dress. REALLY casual dress. The fact is, not every company does. That's reality. Just plain old, every day reality.

Binca likes this.
  10. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

I'm hoping to find either ag related office work of small business manufacturing office work. Just so we all know where I'm looking. Really, small business is what I know, so I'm pretty hesitant to jump into the big business world.

Alsosusieq2, Arem and mooselady like this.