Interview Outfits

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Faster Horses, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

Help!

After 11 years, I need to apply for jobs and go to interviews. Considering the last time I had an interview, flip phones were still a cool thing, I'm totally out of the game.

My last job rarely had customers come in, so I was allowed to wear jeans and polo shirts. Doubt I'll find that again!

I'm looking to apply for pretty basic office jobs. Not wall street level or anything crazy.

Can you guys steer me in the right directions? I am hopelessly lost when it comes to fashion. Show me some practical yet professional outfits!

2. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Anything similar... and it doesn't have to be expensive. I have a couple suit-like outfits I wear for interviews and I probably spent less than $50 on each by shopping from the clearance/sale racks. I have tan, black and blue outfits. Sometimes I wear heels and sometimes I wear flats. Just depends on the look you're going for. A nice pair of dress pants, a well fitted jacket and a nice shirt underneath.
    [​IMG]

Or, you can go even simpler:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

GotaDunQH, kodemiester, Binca and 2 others like this.
  3. Ziast

Ziast Senior Member

57 Cute Blazer Outfits Ideas For Women | Blazers, Daily fashion and Nice
    100 Unboring Work Outfit For You
    https://pin.it/bkstcwknttjqq3
    https://pin.it/4hqjnc33kkhdr2
    https://pin.it/h2aipgdnc2doq3
    https://pin.it/kfbofu5xh3jg4b
    https://pin.it/kfbofu5xh3jg4b (With darker jeans or a dress pant tucked in)

Not knowing your style, age, or build...
    For business casual, I go for a minimalist but nice office style. Usually a darker pant (office policy was dress pants, but nice black jeans were ok) with a sweater/blouse, either a full or half tuck. Usually a belt too, depending how things looked. Accessorize from there with necklaces(long is trendy), rings, scarves, earrings, ect. A collared blouse under a fit sweater is always a hit. Save the long tunic tops and leggings for casual Friday though.

I tend to have a bit of an off-beat flair while not being 'weird'. I go to thrift stores and clearance sections and get those 'wtf' shirts or crazy patterns and add them to a otherwise conservative outfit to make it fun. I have a really cute crystal cat broach I wear with scarves, and a blouse that has poorly proportioned leopards on them.

For pants, I like to get patterned dress pants vs the boring black. Checks, small dots, ect. I've got one pair with a abstract floral design on a black background. Pair with a plainer top and a necklace, done.
    home | Banana Republic
    home | Banana Republic
    home | Banana Republic
    (Most of my clothes are from Banana Republic. Can't go wrong there)

Heels or flats. Can't go wrong with a plain black. I like to also use shoes to add a little more color and pattern.

Faster Horses and Arem like this.
  4. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I always found it cheaper to have solid color slacks and then patterned tops with a blazer that's somewhat coordinating. If it were me, I'd hit a couple decent thrift stores for the blazer and go for a basic color. The slacks would be harder to fit and find there, but you can save a fortune on a blazer or a couple of them. A tiny bit of tailoring perhaps also.

Shoes are expensive, so go with classic colors, black goes with practically everything and I've found it easier to match up for accessories than browns. If you've brown bags though, go with that.

Just keep it simple, comfortable and classic - nothing extreme.

Relax and good luck-!!

5. Faster Horses

Thanks everyone!

I already have black pants and black shoes for church. Adding a blazer shouldn't be too hard.

I had to buy makeup and a purse today...things I haven't used in years.

mooselady and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  6. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

go to goodwill, salvation or any local charity thrift shop. They always have basic business casual clothing. I got 2 jackets, dress pants, black heals (the square ones not heals, yuck) and 2 blouses for about $20.
    my local charity actually helped my pick them out. I think the nice lady was just having fun playing dress up instead of hanging clothes LOL.
    I am no model and I even looked decent at the end.
    just go simple, not flashy, minimal makeup and a simple chain necklace will do wonders. I stick to earth tones for makeup so when I royally **** it up its not too noticeable.

7. Faster Horses

So, another question on the resume side: I worked for the same company over the 11 years, in three different positions. List all three seperately, right? People will notice that they are all the same company and I am one dedicated dude?

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  8. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

No put each position in the description. To make it look more organized title each description and the amount of time you where in that position. It will show growth in a singular company.
    Employers like to see stability and that they will not loose you after 6 months.

With mine I worked with many companies during my stay as a carpenter in the union. In order to look less chaotic and like a quitter I grouped it all under the singular title of carpenter (my local #). Then I dated it for all 3 years. Then I added my 2 machine operator jobs.

It looks organized and more stable. You won't have that problem due to your extended stay at the one company. I would suggest being very descriptive in the description of each area you worked.

I looked up the technical description for my military AFSC. People get paid a lot to make that stuff sound appealing.

Alsosusieq2 and Faster Horses like this.
  9. slc

slc Senior Member

I'd go very conservative, dark colors(dark navy blue, black, dark grey), nothing tight, everything extremely plain and simple, but fits well, in great repair. Jewelry, very plain, simple 'big girl' earrings, a very plain necklace, one small, conservative bracelet. A 'woman's watch.'

Look up the people you're interviewing with on LinkedIn, learn what their educational background and job titles are so you can speak to them at the right level. Make sure you know something about the company and its history, and read the job description several times. Prepare some intelligent sounding questions about the job ('how would you describe a typical day on this job?' is a nice neutral one).

Most of the links above show clothes that are inappropriate for most office jobs and definitely will get the thumbs down in an interview. No, tights or tight-like pants are not appropriate for most offices, LOL. Nothing tight, low cut or tightly fitted. Try to get an idea of the dress code for that job and that company's culture, and use that to help you pick out clothes and to know how formal you need to be.

There are so many things you can do to make a good impression. Looking organized - carrying 5 copies of your resume, all on unwrinkled white paper, check your resume several times for typos or mistakes. Carry a small note pad and a couple spare pens. Take notes of important things the interviewer says, but don't keep writing constantly. Nod, smile, make eye contact.

If you're going to be nervous, take a different approach and say so. 'I must apologize, I'm quite nervous as I haven't interviewed in some time' may explain if you're nervous, but even better is to sit down and practice with a few friends so you are less nervous.

Carry your resume in a neat, conservative work-like folder or carrier.

A manicure - very translucent pink that barely shows up, for nail polish, very neat, clean nails. A recent hair cut (needn't be at an expensive place), and make sure you are very clean all over. Shoes that fit well and don't come off, stockings without holes or runs...all the little things that make a difference.

Male interviewer? Men don't notice your finger nails or shoes? Oh yes, they do. Worse than women, LOL!

People get hired based on that first glance, so make it a good one.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Faster Horses likes this.
  10. Faster Horses

Nails done? :faint: Not sure I ever have!

Was going to get a haircut tomorrow while kiddo is at preschool, but it is going to be 40 degrees. Psh....haircut can wait until Friday, I'm trimming hooves tomorrow!

Alsosusieq2, GONE ROPING and Arem like this.