Interesting stuff-Belmont Stakes aftermath

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by GotaDunQH, Jun 12, 2018.

1. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

The other thread got closed before I could comment!! Anyway, here's an interesting thing going on with Justify's win, but it fdoesn't change the fact that he won. This came across my AOL home page:

Controversy surrounds Justify's Triple Crown win

But, there is always strategy going on with entries....entries from the same trainer, entries from the same owner, one is a throw away. All I know is, if I was an owner...and my trainer had the clear winner in the barn, I might be a little miffed if my horse was used as at the throw-away.

2. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

I thought this too, when they said "the other Baffert horse" and he kept pace for a little, then i said, surely they train together and he may be using RH as a confidence builder while also keeping the competition back. They have reviewed it though, and found no foul play. I think the situation just worked out to Baffert 's benefit, RH could have easily gotten beat into that position, late start, etc.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

In France they expect this to happen and their betting system has the following

Coupled
    When two or more horses declared runners in the same race are avowed as “couplé” for Pari Mutuel purposes, they are said to be “bracketed” or “coupled”. This happens when several horses declared runners in the same race belong to the same owner or trainer. If one of these horses is classified first, all “single win” bets placed on the other runners of the bracket having run in the race are awarded the same “win” dividend.

Pirate and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  4. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I noticed that too. I wondered about it, off to read the article.

5. tucklove

tucklove Senior Member

Kind of silly. I haven't seen RH run, if that's his style, that's his style and the other riders/trainers should have known what to expect from him whether he was in there as a distraction or not. Besides, plenty of horses with perfect trips and amazing records and royal bloodlines LOSE the Triple Crown against worse company than Justify had. They just lose because they run out of gas. The horse had the juice to go the distance and his company coudln't catch him. I think people prospecting on whether or not this horse could have won on this day or with this trip, it's the same stuff that goes on in every race. This one is just more fun to make a stink about because it's the Triple Crown.

6. lukesmom

lukesmom Full Member

Sure it might have involved some strategic riding, but no one that I saw was bumped, clipped heels, etc. The other horses had plenty of opportunity to take a run at Justify and they just couldn't catch him. He also had a very fast first quarter in order to get to that lead and claim his position, and still had plenty in the tank in the stretch. Vino Rosso was making up no ground in the stretch, and Noble Indy finished last, so I'm not sure what difference they think it might have made.

7. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Eh. I think Baffert is fos, but I doubt it truly secured the win. The best horse won that day.

8. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

I noticed this the first time I saw the race live. Restoring Hope deliberately goes wide around the first turn, then veers in in front of the other horses. He definitely was filling the role of blocker.

But IMO it takes nothing away from Justify's win. Because horses block the rest of the field even if they aren't trying to help another horse win. It's not like Restoring Hope was going to win and intentionally gets pulled up in the stretch and throws it to let Justify win. It's just racing strategy.

If it's "shady" then they should ban trainers from having more than one entrant in a race, but they don't, so I don't see the scandal here.

9. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

It's a non-issue. People just like to find reason to beech.

If any other horse was racing where this horse was, and horses couldn't get buy, nobody'd say a thing. The horse raced and was where the jock put him. If others couldn't get buy...EASILY... then they pull out and go around him, same as if the horse WASN'T from Baffert's barn.

Pony123 and foxtrot like this.
  10. RelaxMax

RelaxMax Senior Member

I thought this as well while watching the race, but even if it is true, no one would have caught Justify that day. Even a blocked horse would gain on him , but he was pulling away and cruising under a hand ride. All the other horses were at the whip and fading fast by the quarter pole.

Pony123, Arem and foxtrot like this.