interesting saddle fit tool

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Rachel1786, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Rachel1786

Rachel1786 Senior Member

So this just popped up on my Facebook feed...link apparently it gives you some kind of code that you give to the company along with confirmation pics and they suggest saddles that will work for your horse. Interesting idea for sure, I'm almost tempted to buy one just to see how it works even tho I don't need a new saddle. Screenshot_20180614-175847.png

Larkspade likes this.
  2. Larkspade

Larkspade Senior Member

I say try it!!!!

3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

It may help some people to visualize the shape of the horse's back.
    It used to always be: you looked at the back and picked a saddle that had the same shape, just by looking. Nowadays, visualization skills in children are not being developed and everyone calls and pays a saddle fitter, or rides around in a poorly fitting saddle. :willynilly:

Sorry, rant over. It just seems so simple to me.

4. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

Try finding people to work in a company that needs to fit parts using three dimensions: length, width, depth. So many people cannot figure out the depth of something--they just get entirely confused when adding a third dimension.

But back to the saddle fit--this might work for the bar angle and the gullet size, but what about the shape of the tree? Both of my current horses are incredibly flat backed. My former horse was very curvy. This doesn't take into account any of that.

5. Arem

Arem Senior Member

I’m guessing that’s why the company has you send a picture of the horse along with the size that the gauge gives.

6. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

Admittedly, I didn't see that they asked you to send in a picture as well.

I still think it'd be quite a guessing game with just a photo of the back. I suppose it is a pretty difficult shape to get good dimensions on.

Arem likes this.
  7. Arem

Arem Senior Member

The year is 2100. They have a lasers that scan the horse’s back and tells you what saddles will fit....

.....And it’s still nearly impossible to fit a horse. :rofl::hah:

8. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

This seems like someone has re-invented the wheel! Lol. Herm Sprenger has made a gauge that is pretty darn universally used by fitters & many saddle makers. Of course, just like this tool (and any other gauge) it’s only as useful as the person using it. You can still totally muck it up if you don’t have a clue of what you’re doing. Lol

And I totally agree with @Faster Horses - it doesn’t take into account the rest of the horses shape.