Insulating trailer roof

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by EnglishRider234, Oct 11, 2017.

1. EnglishRider234

EnglishRider234 Senior Member

What is the best way to insulate a fiberglass roof on a trailer?

Other trailer specs: 2 horse. steel frame/aluminum skin. Front tack. Would want to insulate horse compartment and tack space roof.

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Why would you need to do that? The only thing I see people do to fiberglass roofs is clean them and put a protective sealant on them.

3. meljean

meljean Senior Member

Search for "insulating fiberglass roof on a horse trailer" will bring up quite a few hits, from DIY to forums for horse trailers.

4. Sempiternal

Sempiternal Senior Member

I have a Trail-et, which were built with the same material as your trailer. Honestly, I wouldn't insulate the roof. Really don't see much of need for it. The trailer stays relatively cool in the summer...though I can't speak too much for heat retention during the winter as I haven't had to haul in it during the winter.

manesntails likes this.
  5. SoutherngirlBR

SoutherngirlBR Full Member

I would try to ask around at local shows and see how other people did it for your area as it'll be different everywhere you go depending on climate.

6. Zimalia

Zimalia Senior Member

Insulating a fiberglass roof is an EXCELLENT IDEA!! We had ours done when we had the 6 horse reverse slant trailer that was destroyed in a wreck many years ago. It lowers the inside temp considerably. We had the spray foam type put in. It's light weight, and easy to get done. Just makes for a far more comfortable time in the trailer for your horses.

tlwidener and EnglishRider234 like this.
  7. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

Closed cell spray foam would be my choice for this....R7.5 per inch and only one inch will likely make a noticeable difference summer and winter if your trailer gets used a lot. You want someone who is a skilled applicator, however, so that it goes on evenly.

tlwidener and EnglishRider234 like this.