Injection time

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by brl_rcr72, May 17, 2018.

1. brl_rcr72

brl_rcr72 Full Member

How long does it take a cortisone injection to take effect? Specifically in the hock joint? Thanks!

2. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

I've always been instructed 3 days off, and I see an improvement right away

brl_rcr72 likes this.
  3. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

My horse just got injected. It was pretty immediate. My vet uses polyglycan and depo medrol. First day no work. Second day 15 minutes hand walking, 3rd day 15 minutes walk under saddle (stretching, no collection) 4th day, walk/ trot, then build back up.
    Also, we did middle and bottoms. It has been a vast difference and my boy feels so much better. Good luck And I hope your horse feels better.

brl_rcr72 likes this.
  4. brl_rcr72

brl_rcr72 Full Member

Thanks, glad you had success with it.Unfortunately she doesn't seem to be improving significantly it will be 2 days tomorrow so....I guess I will have to see

5. BluemoonOKy

what was going on before she had the injections ? What meds and which part of the joint did you get injected ? Have you hand walked ? Tried any other treatments? What about her feet ? Turnout ? Aftercare instructions ? Maybe tomorrow she will be better. Sending good vibes.

6. brl_rcr72

brl_rcr72 Full Member

3-4 out of 5 lameness in her hind leg. Were injected with cortisone. I'm not sure what technical parts he injected. Just that he did two injections one on the inside of her hock and one on the outside. (very informative I know...). She walks herself around outside the vet instructed to turn her out and do nothing with her for 48 hours and then see how she does. Haven't tried any other treatments I just got her. Her feet have been done recently, she is turned out in the day in at night. She is only 5 and has been ridden lightly her whole life, so it isn't wear and tear. She has weak stifles also it appears it looks almost like she steps in a hole at times. She does seem slightly better today, but it is hard to tell because it is sometimes more subtle and sometimes not. Vet also said if cortisone works, she needs to be re injected every 8 weeks during riding season...which is year round for me.

7. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

Was she Xrayed? what is the issue with her hocks? were her stifles checked and X rayed as well?

every 8 weeks? get a new vet

Alsosusieq2 and GONE ROPING like this.
  8. BluemoonOKy

I would like to see pics of her feet and squared up conformation. Is also like to know what drugs were used. And, every 8 weeks or any sort of other "schedule" is BS. You do them when they need done. Did you get a PPE?

Alsosusieq2 and GONE ROPING like this.
  9. brl_rcr72

brl_rcr72 Full Member

I do believe after this current experience I need to change my vet. He figured it was her hocks fusing so we did the injection. X ray would be the next step. I did not do a ppe but lesson learned for next time. She's was not an expensive horse but she is becoming expensive quickly. I can see what I can do for pics when I'm out there. Stupid question but By drugs do you mean what she was injected with or...?

10. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Yep.