Increasing horse's appetite?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by all4him, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Sorry, I wonder if taking him in and having them feed him by IV with a ton of fluid and take him off all feed to get him completely cleared out would be beneficial. I would probably do another us to see if he's got a spot where he is getting hung up.

It sounds like he feels better right after a tubing, so it makes me think the large bulus of fluid is pushing the gas and or feed through we're it's getting trapped.

We had a really rough go with the guy that we had the displacement on... we were tubing him a 3 times a day to get the gas out and push fluids through.... in the end it paid off. The fact that this guy is coming back bright is a good sign, he still has fight in him.

2. all4him

all4him Senior Member

Oh does he have fight! So she made a meal for him of 1/2 lb. senior soaked in a gallon of warm water and then more water was added when she served him and she added about 1/3 of a cup of oil to it as well. You'd think she tried to poison him!! Oh my gosh, he was MAD!!!!! He HATES oil and he took that bucket and dumped it right over so it was all over the floor of the stall and I swear he gave her the death stare! LOL So yeah - he has fight!!

The surgeon is away for the weekend but Monday morning she's going to see if there is anything else they can do to help. Fortunately it is the weekend and she's home so she's feeding him 1/2 lb. senior soaked well every hour or so in order to keep that bolus smaller. We're hoping that while he might have up and downs, he will start having more ups than downs and eventually can get past all of this!! It's getting so frustrating!

3. all4him

all4him Senior Member

So it seems feeding every 3-4 hours and adding certain things to his feed is doing the trick. He is now getting a full pound of senior every 3-4 hours soaked to make a very thin soup and some other stuff to help the gas (baking soda), and to make the manure much thinner - just about diarrhea - so that it is easier to get through the surgical site. We think that the reason he kept colicking was because it was hurting as manure was going through. So by keeping it watery, it's been MUCH better for him. I took him for a 20 minute walk today with a couple of nibbles of grass and he's doing great. He hasn't colicked since Thursday! :) His owner may be on the right program for him. Tomorrow she will bump the feed to 1.25 pounds for a few days. He's as skinny as all get-out but hopefully he'll be gaining soon.

~tiffy~ likes this.
  4. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Poor baby. He sounds like he is making progress, hang in there.