Increasing horse's appetite?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by all4him, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Our last displacement spent almost a whole month on warm wet senior feed and wet grass hand grazing to give the gut time to heal, he didn’t have a problem after that.

Lots and Lots and Lots of water is definitely seems key to keep the gut able to move stuff through it. I mixed the 2 gallons of hot H20 into the 5 lbs senior and so he was getting 8 gallons a day alone in his mush.

I agree that the more colic’s and the more surgeries they have the more scaring they get, and their gut becomes more and more compromised…I’ve got one that has so much scar tissue he just can’t digest hay anymore, he has done incredibly well on senior and hasn’t had a colic or ulcers since we took him off hay…..of course this is not the diet I would want for a normal horse…but he is clearly not normal…and he and I were both tired of having the vet out on a regular basis to tube him.

slc likes this.
  2. all4him

all4him Senior Member

Thanks so much lhoward! Yeah - the hay was in a slow feed hay net inside a hay bag so a flake was lasting him FOR-EV-ER!! LOL His senior has been soaked but then he will leave it but he'll eat it dry but the next time he doesn't want it dry but wants it a little damp. He's such a prima donna! LOL Today it was lightly wet like oatmeal and he turned his nose up at it so that got dumped to then have dry in the bucket. I like the idea of the molasses water! I'll definitely tell his owner to put another bucket in his stall with that! Even just for the extra calories (not a lot, I know but hey - something is better than nothing!). I've been looking at him on camera since I left and he's still picking through his stall for some hay so that is a good sign! All night he looked like death warmed over. This horse is seriously going to put his owner in a nut house! She's stressed anyway (facing shoulder surgery on Monday after a car accident and having issues at work) so this just makes things 10x worse! But looking at him on camera right now, he looks like a normal horse! CRAZY!

3. all4him

all4him Senior Member

The owner's other horse is a 30 something year old OTTB who can't have hay and he likes his senior grain soaked in HOT water (like enough to burn your hand a bit) for 10 minutes and make sure it is still hot when he gets it. He shlurps it up and very much enjoys it. He gets fed 4x a day so feeding this guy a similar diet would be no problem. But even when he's getting nothing but the senior, he might eat it or he might not. He's eating only about 2 lbs. a day right now - that is all he will actually finish. 2 lbs. senior a day with NO hay is NOT a good diet for a 16.1 hand OTTB!!! Poor guy has lost so much weight!

4. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

He probably wont eat much until his gut isn't full of gas. The gas is mostly caused by the fermentation of the hay. The GastroGard should help too, I'm sure he is full of ulcers by now.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  5. all4him

all4him Senior Member

He just gobbled up 4 lbs. of senior soaked to be like soup. He's still acting hungry but that is it until later tonight. I told her to change his name to PITA. ;)

~tiffy~ likes this.
  6. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

I think this might be a goo analogy...

I love cheesecake, when I was younger it was my ultimate comfort food. I would eat it and it made my tummy feel so good and filled me full of endorphins…..then I hit my 40’s and then when I went to my comfort food instead of making my tummy feel oh so good…I would blow up like the blueberry girl on Willy Wanka…. Being a person I can very sadly while the denial put 2 and 2 together and know that while my 1 part of brain and mouth is saying I want cheesecake, that my memory and bum are saying the closet thing you are getting to cheesecake is lactose free strawberry ensure.

This horse wanted hay because he remembers it to be comforting to chew on…the problem is that it may just be is cheesecake, and being a horse he can’t put 2 and 3 together so if offered both hay and senior he keeps eating the hay which starts to ferment creates gas that makes him hurt .

7. all4him

all4him Senior Member

Totally get that. Too much sugar makes my belly hurt thanks to insulin resistance and so I don't mind a tiny piece of cake but any more than that and I'm in the bathroom in huge pain. :( It was great to see him excited about food tonight and eating with gusto. But I'm afraid he's done this before and will likely go back to the sad, depressed horse soon. I'm hoping not but he's been so up and down!

8. all4him

all4him Senior Member

All three meals today: SUCCESS!!! 3 meals of 4 lbs. of senior feed each and he was ****ED that there was no more food!!! I'm looking at him on the camera and he's pacing and looking out the window for his before bed meal. One more meal and this would be more food than he's eaten since his surgery three weeks ago!! If he eats tonight (and I have no doubt that he will), that will be 16 lbs. of senior for today - all soaked to soup consistency. :D NO hay for him right now other than a handful sprinkled in the corner of his stall to keep him busy. I think we turned a corner!

9. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Great News!

10. all4him

all4him Senior Member

AND I spoke too soon. I got a text last night that he was colicking badly. Vet actually wanted him out of the barn NOW in case he went down. It was awful. She tubed him but didn't hold out much hope. But today? I walked into the barn and he was whinnying and looking for food. I swear this horse is going to kill his owner!!!!