Inactive accounts

Discussion in 'Forum Help' started by cathrynxox, Jan 18, 2014.

1. cathrynxox

cathrynxox Senior Member

I have a question for the mods that several other members and myself were wondering. It has been brought to my attention that there are members on here who have an account, but do not post frequently (a few in particular have not posted in several months, some of them even years) and yet they have the ability to distribute rep and report threads.

Is there any reason for this? If there are members who are not willing to participate, they should not have the ability to rep/report or PM.

Any input would be appreciated.

2. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

There is no prohibition from members utilizing any tools or privileges they have based on their membership level from exercising them at any time, whether they post frequently or rarely. HGS does not and will not discriminate just because someone takes a break or prefers just to occasionally read. That's their choice just as it is your choice to participate at the level you do. That does not mean that abuse will be condoned, either from anyone...including occasional participants. If someone neglects a rule or acts in an untoward way, use the rep system or report the activity for moderator review.

Life changes. People come and go, both voluntarily and involuntarily. For the former, they are welcome to post/PM/rep/contribute in whatever way is meaningful to them as long as they abide by the rules.

Jim
    HGS Moderator

5 people like this.
  3. pippy

pippy Senior Member

Jim - just more so because you are online, how is it the TwigMoss/Horsegears are allowed to be...? Same person, two user accounts.... one banned the other being used?

Edit - no longer banned..... but two user accounts nuntheless

1 person likes this.
  4. cathrynxox

cathrynxox Senior Member

Thank you for replying so quickly, Jim! I appreciate the length of your reply.

You've helped out a ton!

2 people like this.
  5. ChestersMomma

ChestersMomma Senior Moderator Staff Member

Some people prefer to mostly read. They have just as much right to judge if a post if merit worthy or not.

As for dups, we can only do so much. If we get a report or have a suspicion, we will investigate and take it to Admin.

6. Heavenly Jumper

Heavenly Jumper Senior Moderator Staff Member

Just because it appears to be 'allowed' doesn't mean it is. ;) There's lots going on behind the scenes with the Moderator team. Please keep comments like this to PM or reports in the future. :) It doesn't need to be discussed openly on the forum.

7. pippy

pippy Senior Member

My PM several months ago on it never got answered.... never mind though - its not any skin off my nose, just curiousity.

8. Asfaloth

Asfaloth Senior Member

I was inactive for about 8 years and was kinda glad that my account was still here and ready to go when I was ready to join in more. You just don't know what is going on in another member's life. They might be on and reading every day and just not feel like joining in. This place can be a little intimidating to new people sometimes.

2 people like this.