In Need Of Farrier (Drafts) East Orlando Florida!

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Omayra, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Omayra

Omayra Full Member

They work fine with me lifting their feet, the problem arises when anyone else tries to. They won't let anyone else touch them. Maybe I should learn to trim them myself as they are happy with me grooming them and picking their feet.

2. slc

slc Senior Member

You know you would waste a lot less time if you would just provide all the basic information in the first post.

3. AmyK

AmyK Senior Member

No... you need to fix the "no one else can touch them" issue.

slc, manesntails and VermilionStrife like this.
  4. Omayra

Omayra Full Member

Thanks everyone for your responses. I have found a farrier whom my vet recommended. His name is Rick Denning. Hopefully all works out with him. Again, thank you all.

AmyK, slc and bobo and horses like this.
  5. EnglishRider234

EnglishRider234 Senior Member

I always schedule my next appointment when my farrier is done with my horses. (Before he leaves) That way there is no guessing game of when he may come back.

Glad you found a farrier, hope it works out!!!

AmyK and VermilionStrife like this.
  6. Omayra

Omayra Full Member

Thank you.

7. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

When our farrier is finished, and I am writing him his check, he whips out his calendar and we make an appointment. If he finds he cannot keep the appointment, he calls, if we find we cannot keep his appointment, we call and reschedule. OTherwise, he is expected at the time and date we agreeded upoN.

It's the only way to go, IMO.

8. Omayra

Omayra Full Member

That is exactly what I am used to doing as I have owned Arabians prior to these. But when I asked this guy about making an appt after paying him he said "I will call you" so I called him about the time he said he would call me but he never responded. Lesson learned, I found this one farrier which I have heard great things about so I'm hoping everything works out with him. Thank you.

bobo and horses likes this.
  9. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

When the farrier works on your horse, who is in charge of holding his lead rope? That should be You.

You make the horse behave for others when they work on the horse's feet. You turn the head away from the hoof they want up, take weight off it so can lift it, and if the horse is paying attention to you, you did tell the horse to “stand“, right? he isn't going to give other people trouble.

You enforce his obedience and put the horse back every time he deviated from standing exactly where you told him to. Then you tell the horse to stand, you help the horse take weight off the foot and if the horse starts acting up, you catch him shifting his weight, reinforce the verbal command to “stand“ and if he blows that off, you tell the farrier to move away, then you correct the horse, bring him back to the exact same spot he moved from, tell him to stand, then look away and relax.

You only get pizzy with him if he doesn't listen and tries to get pizzy with whoever is handling his feet. You have the lead rope, so the horse has to listen to you. He doesn't get to CHOOSE to give others a hard time while you stand and allow it.

AmyK likes this.
  10. Omayra

Omayra Full Member

That's just it, he didn't want me to hold the horses he asked his helper to do so.