In Need Of Farrier (Drafts) East Orlando Florida!

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Omayra, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Omayra

Omayra Full Member

I have (2) two year old Shires that need their hooves trim. My vet recommended a farrier that came out but since the breeder seems to have never worked with them at lifting their feet we had to use sedation which worked good and he trimmed them. This farrier told me he would come back in 8 weeks and hasn't even tried calling me. I have called several farriers but I guess they are just used to doing regular horses and not drafts. Does anyone have a good reliable and dependent farrier in the East Orlando area of Florida?

2. slc

slc Senior Member

"Hasn't even tried calling you"?

You're supposed to call the farrier.

About two weeks before the horses need to be done, you call the farrier, and leave a message. You say 'this is so and so at 3558 happy valley road with the two shires you did there on Jun 15, you wanted to work on them again on August 15, so I wanted to let you know my schedule for the next two weeks is I will be at home all day Monday through Friday 8-5 for those two weeks. So please feel free to set up a time that best suits you. Please call if you can't make it. Have a nice day! Thanks, Mary'

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    Kappa, Nu5ha and Dona Worry like this.
  3. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

What SLC said.
    And I sure hope you have been picking up and cleaning out their feet in the meantime. . . Drafts are too big to be fussy about their feet.

Nu5ha likes this.
  4. slc

slc Senior Member

Most farriers who do drafts use a stand so the horses may need practice with the stand. Just be sure any training you do with the stand reinforces the idea that their foot has to STAY on the stand until the farrier tells them that he's/she's done.

5. Omayra

Omayra Full Member

I did I have contacted him by phone several times and have sent him several text also with no success that is the reason why I am trying to find someone else. But when he was done with my horses I asked him when he would come again and I said ok i will call you before then and I found it kind of fishy that he said no I will call you.

6. shell7897

shell7897 Senior Member

Kelly Tilly trims my mare, and I've been very happy with her work. I don't know if she does drafts but wouldn't hurt to ask. 407-312-9616

7. slc

slc Senior Member

Then you will have to get someone else. Just keep calling. Ask some people at boarding barns, shows, tack shops for recommendations.

Did you pay him on time in full? Any delay in payment is a kiss goodbye, but so is if you're bossing him and/or the horses are hurting him or acting like they might hurt him.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  8. Omayra

Omayra Full Member

Yes I paid him in full and I didn't even say anything to him. He had a helper so I basically let him do his job and went inside but was watching from my window lol. I think I was too far away for him and since my vet called him directly I think he probably felt obligated.

9. slc

slc Senior Member

Oh. Each of them has a different range they're willing to cover. And a saturation point of how many customers they can schedule.

I'd check boarding barns, ask local trainers and instructors, ask staff in tack shops, etc.

10. Omayra

Omayra Full Member

Thanks for your reply. I did speak with Kelly and she did say she wasn't taking any new customers plus it would be too hard on her back to do the drafts.