Import Western Saddle Tree - Caution - Pictures are Gross

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by SouthernTrailsG, Oct 19, 2009.

1. SouthernTrailsG

SouthernTrailsG Senior Member+

Here is a Hollow Fiberglass Saddle Tree taken from an Imported Saddle, this came from a "higher end" $600.00 Imported Saddle not a 300.00, or 200.00 or even a 100.00 Import Saddle.

Note: The Arrows point to India's version of Rawhide Wrapped Tree.

Note: Circles show where the Tree cracked, only had 3-4 rides in it

Note: This tree weighs 1.5lbs., not the 7-10 lbs. a good tree should weigh

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TrailBlazer likes this.

2. luvs2ride79

luvs2ride79 Senior Member+

Wow! Good photos! Just another reason to stay AWAY from any saddle that has a fiberglass or "fiber-flex" tree.

1 person likes this.
  3. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse Senior Member+

Oh my eyes!! I'm going to have nightmares for awhile now :no:
    Thank you for posting that Kevin. Sure will save a lot of folks some hard earned money.

4. Pally

Pally Senior Member+

Wow...ugh.

So Kevin....along with this graphic representation, how about some tips on how NOT to end up with one of these in our saddles. I guess the obvious answer is to not buy cheap imported saddles, but seeing as you said this was a $600 one, I bet it was a lot less obvious to those buyers. I know some people will say only ever use a wood tree, but that's not always feasible either. So what are the signs....brand names, weight, tree guarantees....or.....

I just think there are so many people out there who have no idea how bad some of the saddles out there can be, and especially with regards to the tree, since they can't see it. Trying to spread the word on forums like this might just help one horse's back, or prevent an accident.

CrazyHorse likes this.
  5. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse Senior Member+

Excellent post Pally!!! Honestly, if I had seen the $600 price tag I would've assumed it was a mid-decent quality saddle myself.

6. SouthernTrailsG

SouthernTrailsG Senior Member+

Pally,

If someone has a question about certain brand names, then many HGS members including myself can address that brand (if it has one)

The brand this Tree came from used to have their Saddles made in the US until 7-8 years ago, then they sent them to Kanpur India to be made. So if I unilaterally mentioned their name then people selling older models of that brand that were good would be offended.

Most Imports from India do not have a name and many have silly sound a like names put on them.

Many times the Saddles from India will have lots of Hand Engraved Tooling and will be inexpensive, the Leather most of the time is Water Buffalo and is thin and wavy. A saddle may have lots and lots of silver on it and be inexpensive, another way to tell, a 500.00 New Show Saddle with all skirt corners, housing, pommel, covered with Silver is a sign of cheap.

They best way is to read reviews on Saddles from

http://www.horsetackreview.com/results-reader-reviews/Trail%20Saddles

Also ask members on HGS :) and also talk to the company selling the Saddle and ask lots of questions.

Saddles with Ralide Brand or Solid Wood Trees are a safe bet,

As LTR said anything that says Fiberglass, Fiber-Tough, Fiber-Fill, Fiber-Flex, etc are warning signs :wink:

7. crayon

crayon Senior Member+

Scary... And to think of everyone who actually buys those saddles and uses them for years. :eek2: Great pics though!

8. bktohorses

bktohorses Senior Member

I remember seeing a silver show saddle on Ebay. Someone paid $1200 for it and it came from India. It had the name Billy Cooks (they just added a s on the end) for the maker stamped on the back of the skirt. It is so sad that people are taken as I am sure this person didn't even realize that even the Greenville's are Billy Cook. That saddle most like carried the same tree as was shown here as it was fiberglass.

9. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator

That think looks like a skull that's been sitting out in the desert sun! LOL

Seriously, I know little or nothing about western saddle construction, but that just doesn't impress me in any way. Wow.

10. bktohorses

bktohorses Senior Member

The King Series endurance saddles are made in India and have fiberglass trees, glad I never got around to buying one.