Imaginary Horse Breeding: Color Question

Discussion in 'Horse Breeding' started by Narmowen, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Narmowen

Narmowen Senior Member

I'm having a discussion on Wikipedia about Thowra (the Silver Brumby) and his color.

Dam: palomino
    Sire: flaxen chestnut

They're stating that he's a cremello, which is possible out of a palomino/chestnut breeding. (I know it's not.)

I state that he's an extremely pale palomino.

Any thoughts?

2. Snaffle Bit

Snaffle Bit Senior Member+

I would assume a pale palomino as well. They often also called them "Creams" or "Creamies" I think?

I would think he was a lot like the real life wild stallion, Cloud. His sire was a black and his dam a palomino; he's a very light palomino, almost white when he was born.

3. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Senior Member

If his sire IS flaxen chestnut the no cremello is NOT possible. He may however be a dark palomino, and then yes cremello is possible....pictures? link to thread?

ETA: Just realized that its a FAKE horse not a fake breeding...wow....NO cremell is in NO way possible. Just palomino and chestnut.

4. Snaffle Bit

They're fictional horses, Riddle. Throwa is a character in the book.

5. Narmowen

Narmowen Senior Member

Here's a link to the page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Brumby (the discussion is taking place on the talk page and through the history...)

This was left on my talk page (before I signed in): Ok then, what colour do YOU think he is? He's not palomino, he's not grey, he's not roan. What else can Thowra be? Black? Brown? Bay? If you have better evidence then tell me and I'll listen

And then this was entered in the article: Although it seems impossible for Thowra to be a cremello because his sire is a chestnut and his dam is a palomino, cremellos can be produced by crossing a palomino with sorrel, a bright chesnut. Indeed Yarraman is a bright chestnut stallion as in the first book it states 'in a real fight that might prove to be an advantage over the bright chestnut

I assume by the same person, but I really want the correct information (even with a fictional horse).

So it's almost a sure thing that he's a pale palomino.

What would a champagne (if his sire was champagne instead of flaxen chestnut) with cream look like? Could that be possible? Would it be possible for him to be a pseudo-dilute? (Pearl and cream?)

6. Snaffle Bit

For a real life example.

Here is the famous Cloud as a foal:
    [​IMG]

And here are a few of him grown:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. sunrisegurl146

sunrisegurl146 Senior Member

NO WAY can Thowra be a cremello. In the movie I belive they depicted Thowra as truely as they could considering.

EVEN *I* know this..poor people..their going to have HGS breeders fighting them now! :p

8. ACCphotography

ACCphotography Senior Member

Max sabino with splash (blue eyes). :rofl:

9. notanumber

notanumber Senior Member

If this imaginary horse is cremello, then there should be a surprising reveal in the next book about his parentage . . .

10. ACCphotography

ACCphotography Senior Member

LOL!!!

Aren't these books realllllly old? I remember reading one of them AGES ago.