If you have a trailer...

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Jim_in_PA, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

If you have a trailer...and don't have one of these...you're missing the boat. I never had the need to actually use it until today when I was changing out the tires/wheels for brand new ones in preparation for sale. Darn, these emergency tire changing ramps make the job a piece of cake. I had all four changed in 15-20 minutes, including dealing with "interruptions". :) The best thing was that it came with the trailer from the previous owner. :D

[​IMG]

SMcGill, Fancy That, paval and 10 others like this.
  2. froglander

froglander Senior Member

Omg, and if you ever borrow a trailer make sure you have one!

Borrowed truck, borrowed trailer, blown tire, couldn’t find one of those for the life of us until a random person said they knew someone with one and then we had to get a big enough lug wrench and breaker bar to get things lossened....it was an interesting day...

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

I also got one with my trailer, one of the black plastic ones, and after I learned to loosen the nuts before getting the tire up in the air, it made things really easy to change the wheels out for new ones. I always keep it in my trailer in case of a flat tire too, and have piece of mind knowing I don't have to unhitch, unload, or worry about jacking it up on the side of the road :) Good advice!

4. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

I also have one and they are a MUST. Have used mine a few times

5. Super Step

Super Step Senior Member

They also work with a gooseneck loaded with hay!

Jim_in_PA and manesntails like this.
  6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Long time no see, @Super Step :tiphat:

I have a 3' long piece of six x six square post cut like that with three horseshoes nailed to it.

7. phantomhorse13

phantomhorse13 Full Member

Agreed - that is a must-have!

Another must-have is a pair of tin snips or something else to cut metal. And a hammer. Notice the back of the fender in this shot:

[​IMG]

Maybe we are just lucky, but when we have had tires blow on the interstate, they have almost always taken out part of the fender. Being able to cut away or reshape the damaged part has meant the difference between changing the tire and continuing on or having to sit and wait for help.

Jim_in_PA likes this.
  8. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

Definitely a must have! Mine goes with me in whatever I'm towing, whether it's the bumper pull, gooseneck, or camper. I've changed several tires on the side of the road with that thing. The most difficult part is lifting that heavy tire onto the hub (??), I was alone most of those tire changing episodes.

Super Step and phantomhorse13 like this.
  9. phantomhorse13

phantomhorse13 Full Member

An endurance friend (who is a small woman in her 80s) once got into camp and remarked she had been delayed due to a flat tire. When asked how she managed to change it herself, she said she carries TWO of the trailer aides and she uses the second to roll the replacement tire up into position! I always thought that was a brilliant idea for those worried about being able to handle the tire alone.

10. CJ

CJ Senior Member

I saw one of the plastic ones at a barn/yard sale, gladly paid and took that 'puppy' home.
    Its first use may be At home as the trailer has sat for a while and the tires are going to need changing before it goes anywhere again.