Ideas on how to make money so I can buy/pay for a horse?

Discussion in 'For Kids Only' started by kam2500, Jun 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jumper Horse

Jumper Horse Full Member

I didn't mean it has to be young, I just meant it doesn't have to be trained and refined to the T. My best friend bought a horse for $3,500. It was apparently a 'great' horse. She even rode it and everything before buying it. But only months after purchasing the horse, it had bucked her off, bitten her kicked her, you name it. I bought a gelding from a rescue for $650, and he is the sweetest thing around. He is 16 years old and just needed a little fine tuning. All I had to do was watch some Downunder Horsemanship and I got him obeying like a $3,500 horse in about a month. True, it would have been way less work, but I am a waaaaay better horsewoman now than I was then thanks to the training I put myself through. WAY better. I gained SO much experience from it. Just gotta check the horse out THOROUGHLY before you buy. Think of anything you can to test the horse. I couldn't have saved up $1,000. I was 13 and didn't have a job (if you don't count washing my aunt's floors for fifteen bucks every month) I was 13 and re-trained an old trail gelding that sold for a whopping $650. So, if I did it, chances are most anyone can. I have luck with so many horses that I have bought, and have NEVER spent over $650. True if you are afraid of horses, or just timid, or just don't want to put in all of that training, then I would save up money for about three years, and maybe you'll find one. Just please take my word for it; rescues are great to buy from. You just have to be cautious. It's true that you never know what you get at rescues, but like I said, test them out like crazy before you buy. I have had many horses in the past from rescues (one of my fav horses ever was $100 in a pair!) and most of them have been wonderful horses. Please just check it out at least before you spend thousands on a horse.

2. horse luvr1

horse luvr1 Senior Member

^To your friend, it sounds like a health or such problem. Please, I guess your situation worked out but don't suggest people to buy downunder horsemanship and train a horse. Video's don't help much at all. Rescue horses can have tons of problems that some of the best would have problems sorting out. the market is in the pothole. get an older reliable horse. Will it look like a spring chicken? no. But it will teach you a lot. I bought a horse younger and did it help my horsemanship? Yes. But I also went through he|| some days. Save up to ATLEAST 1k. tons of things you can do. Ask all your neighbors if there's any jobs you can do. Mow lawns. Can you have animals? Rabbit breeding. I take sheep in the spring then sell them during summer and make a couple hundred bucks. I have local businesses that let me work even though I'm 13. I wonder if you could make art too? cut some boards and mosiac them.

3. MonteStrides

MonteStrides Senior Member

Animal sit! I am like the neighborhood animal sitter. When people are away, I am who they call to take care of their dogs/cats/other species.

manesntails likes this.
  4. HorseLuva229

HorseLuva229 Registered

You can make and sell ombre or multi colored lead ropes and halters! Also dog leashes and collars. Maybe even halters and lead ropes for other animals too, such as sheep, goats and cows. You could become a mane and tail braider for show horses, and you could also groom show horses. You could also offer to clean tack before and after shows. Offer to clean stables and exercise the horses at a local boarding facility or stable. Volunteer at a vets office. Unless you are old enough, you probably won't get paid, but you will gain experience. You could also pet sit and horse sit for people that are on vacation. That is honestly what is holding a lot of people back from getting pets. They don't have someone who they know and trust and know who is reliable to watch them while they are gone on business or vacation. Maybe even offer to be a farrier. Hope this helps! Not all of these are my own ideas, I get some from websites. Good luck!

5. ChestersMomma

ChestersMomma Senior Moderator Staff Member

Old thread. Closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.