Ideas for unmounted camp activity ASAP

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Cara, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Cara

Cara Senior Member+

I'm working at a local horse summer camp this summer. We've all got to come up with some new ideas for unmounted camp activities.

The campers are split into two groups, so half of them ride while the other half does an activity, and then they switch.

I am blank on ideas, and I've got to come up with it by tonight!

It can be basically anything, such as crafts and such, anything involving horses. We've already got things such as setting up a human jump course, horse bath/decorating contests, etc.

So... any ideas?

Anything is greatly appreciated!

2. HawaiianPaint

HawaiianPaint Senior Member

My trainer puts on summer camps, a lot of the activities she does are related to horse care and horses...like learning the parts of the horse, safety things, parts of a saddle and types of riding. Videos are always fun to watch too. She always finds little horsey type prizes like stickers etc for them.

Crafts are always fun too...but those type of things usually depend a lot on what type of budget and facilities you have to work with.

3. dare2jump

dare2jump Senior Member

You can do a scavenger hunt trying to find horses of different colors annd markings.
    You could also do a demonstration on boots and bandaging
    Or teach them equine nutrition while making horse treats

4. dare2jump

dare2jump Senior Member

depndign on the discipline of riding you could have them do dressgae tests on foot, or mounted games on foot.

You could also teach them to clean tack... and have contests seeign who can put the bridles back together the fastest

You could also have them practice tying quick release knots by tying each other up.

5. CowGirlUp1833

CowGirlUp1833 Senior Member+

Basket weaving!! I love basket weaving! LOL

6. Chester

Chester Senior Member+

Make a ribbon browband.
    Learn points of the horse.
    Learn breeds of the horse.
    Have a farrier come do a talk.

7. cowgirlnat

cowgirlnat Senior Member+

Saddle the camp counselor it always fun, lol. No, seriously, at a camp I went to ages ago we had a day where we were broken up into teams (according to what bunk/tent we slept in) and chased down our counselor and saddled them. Whoever got done the fastest one. Another thing we did...well...I did was have a contest to see who could name the tack/horse equipment fastest. What really happened was the fellow campers wanted to test my knowledge against the instructors so I went head to head w/the instructor...we were about even...and mind you I was like 13. Anyway, it's something you could do among the kids. Point to a piece of tack and who ever calls it out first wins. Do sets of two and weed them down to the champion and reserve champion or something.

8. Crazy4Apps

Crazy4Apps Senior Member+

We had an equine massage therepist come in,and a farrier,a vet,and a really good rider to do a demenstration.

9. xxrider21xx

xxrider21xx Senior Member

I did horse camps for three years and have soooo many games. My all - time fav is the Tack Up Race.
    Materals: (2 of each)
    free standing saddle rack
    bridle
    saddle
    grooming tools
    saddle pads
    helmet

How to Play:
    split kids into teams consisting of 2 people
    have all the materals at one end and the free standing saddle rack at the other
    have the teams stand by their saddle rack ('horse')
    and when you say go one runs back and graps the materals in order and 'tacks up the horse' then puts the helmet on and runs around the horse
    then the partner puts on the helmet runs around the horse and then untacks and runs back to their bare saddle rack. first team done wins.

10. xxrider21xx

xxrider21xx Senior Member

Theres always the tried and true 'Instructor May I" played just like Mother May I only with walk trot(jog) canter(lope) and jump(sliding stop), you can even have them play on all fours. Or polo wrap their legs, little kids love that.

Barn Faries was always a fun game. The faries take the tack and hide it and the kids have to find the stuff that goes with their horse.

I have loads more that I'll post when i think of them.