Ideas for fever

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by AmyK, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

Banamine for a fever, not Bute.

manesntails likes this.
  2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Not me. I keep banamine paste only. Oral meds, I do. IM, I will do vax but not meds for treating illness or disease. I do those only after speaking with the Vet.
    IV? Nope.

3. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

We've had horses that we have given IV fluids to under the direction of a vet. It I may be illegal for track/show rules... but under a vets direction for therapeutic treatment it is not illegal.

4. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

The EVH1 shot is not 100% effective it is not effective on the neuro form.

We have a barn up her that just lost 7 horses. Some of the othe horses with the virus survived. Some tested positive with just a low fever.

When the latent virus comes forward in one horse it is highly contagious and spreads like wild fire.

My motto is any horse having a fever is quarantined and if fever over a day they need to see a vet to rule out EVH1 or to see if they have an infection....

slc likes this.
  5. slc

slc Senior Member

I think both plasma and blood volumes are actually larger for horses than cattle; supposedly you'd compare animals of the same weight to have some sort of useful comparison, though cattle and horses probably differ from each other as to how much of different types of tissues they have (bone, soft tissue, weight of feed in organs, etc) and that affects blood volume. Plasma and blood are usually given as ml/kg body weight. Wikipedia gives blood volume for a cow at 55 (52-57) and for a horse at 76. I looked at 6 different studies, they all gave similar figures. A human has one of the higher blood volumes per kg body weight.

6. AmyK

AmyK Senior Member

This is all theoretical discussion- but technically, livestock antibiotics are not prescription only, you can buy them at the feed store. I personally won't use them without a vet's direction, we have a huge antibiotic resistance problem in this country. I can see that in the food animal industry it can possibly be different.

@Dona Worry what solution do you give? 0.9% is what we give humans... anything more concentrated is really unusual. Maybe a vet told you it was hypertonic and it's really not, or only slightly so in cattle? I can't imagine really giving a hypertonic solution like that unless there's something incredibly different about cows.

Long story short... basically, I'm in Mane's boat. I'm perfectly comfortable goving IM and IV meds/fluids, but I'm not comfortable explaining to a vet what I've done without their guidance if it doesn't help or god forbid it makes the animal worse because my judgement was wrong. I guess we all have our individual comfort zones, which is fine. If she's not drastically better when I get home, my comfort zone dealing with this in my own will be exceeded.

I'm finally clocking out. I hate working when I have sick animals.

manesntails and Dona Worry like this.
  7. AmyK

AmyK Senior Member

Temp broke sometime during the night, it's now 99.8. She ate dinner during the night and is currently eating breakfast. Fingers crossed... gonna set an early alarm and check again early afternoon. Feeling super relieved right now!

8. slc

slc Senior Member

Whew! What a relief!

Race track practice and dairy industry practices don't always translate well to a different species or situation.

Dairy cattle so often need IV treatment because they are in high production and can rapidly develop metabolic problems - there's no real choice but for the owners or staff to do that. Trainers at the track are subject to a different set of rules than horse owners.

The situation matters too. I am blessed to have 3 big top notch practices within very easy reach, many people have to wait hours or days to get a vet out.

9. AmyK

AmyK Senior Member

In case anyone was curious for an update, horse was fine for two days, then on Thursday, temp spiked back to 103.8 with a runny nose and a cough. Vet came out and drew blood, which showed inconclusive inflammatory markers... his feeling is still that it is viral, so we gave her an immunostimulant drug to help her fight this which I'm to repeat on Sunday, but because of her nasty green runny nose and him saying she had raspy lung sounds, we did start antibiotics at my request because I'm worried about an opportunistic bacterial bronchitis or pneumonia.

We did not swab for flu or EHV because it won't change our treatment, just my bill, but there have been positives of both even in other vaccinated horses in the area. My other horses have remained fine in the meantime. But for those of you in AZ, evidently this is going around... so keep that in mind if you are hauling or showing.

manesntails likes this.
  10. slc

slc Senior Member

Dang.