Ideas for boredom?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Touch the Sky, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Touch the Sky

Touch the Sky Senior Member

Rhaegar has started cribbing on the arena walls. He has a friend, he has hay 24/7 he has a jolley ball.... I'm not sure what other things I can do to keep him occupied while he has stay dry lotted. He's usually a pretty active horse and this whole 'chilling' seems to annoy him.
    Anyone have some ideas?

2. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Another friend with a horse on stall rest posted a video of their horse pushing a ball around that I think had treats in it. Was cute. He put his face into the video and she told him to go play with his ball and he did. :p I think it was one of those where it is hard to get those treats.

3. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Can you hang something from the walls or ceiling? Something he can't trap easily, filled with treats he can have?

4. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

Shires Ball Feeder

This was a life saver when Sublime had to be on stall rest. It kept him busy for hours.

ginster and Touch the Sky like this.
  5. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

That's the one in the video my friend used on her stall bound horse.

NBChoice likes this.
  6. Touch the Sky

I'm gonna try to order one of the treat balls today! He's VERY food motivated so I think that will be a hit with him

7. peg4x4

peg4x4 Senior Member

"Scorned Woman" hot sauce to paint the spots he's cribbing on? Sounds like he's bored to tears.

8. RusticR

RusticR Full Member

Is he cribbing or would chewing? My paint gelding used to wood chew when his TMJ was acting up. Once I’d get him to the chiro it would go away.

9. Touch the Sky

Actually now that I think about it it seems more like wood chewing. He was seen by a chiro a few weeks a go. 100% honesty, I just cant afford to have one out right now.
    Between the vet bill for Annie choking 3 weeks ago, and the vet bill from his flare up last week PLUS the upcoming bill for his corrective shoeing AND the hospital bill from having to get MY knees x rayed.... I'm a little swamped lol!

10. RusticR

RusticR Full Member

My chiro used to relax their TMJ by gently rubbing circles right at the point where the jaw meets on the side of the face.

Cash would get bad so she had me incorporate this before I’d bridle him. Might me worth a try!

But my big show mare also wood chews when she’s annoyed/bored. Like when she’s in the wash rack finished being bathed but mom insists on standing there chatting for over an hour. lol. My bad...