I was eliminated for what?!? All rule savvy eventers please help!

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by hannathefoxx, May 1, 2017.

1. hannathefoxx

hannathefoxx Full Member

Warning this is a novel..

So Reggie and I completed our first one day event on Saturday, overall I must say it was amazing! We just did the starter division which was supposed to be 2'-2'3" but the stadium was set way smaller. This was my first event and his first event but literally everything that could go wrong, went wrong. Starting off with the dressage arenas being mislabeled. I went over and was waiting by arena 1 which was outside and I was getting so confused as to why no one had told me I was on deck yet because they weren't behind and my test was supposed to start 3 minutes before. Yep, come to find out I was at the wrong arena because the show crew mislabeled the dressage rings, so I showed up to my dressage ring right as the judge was ringing the bell, just enough time for one circle then we just had to do what we had to do. It couldn't been so much better had he actually gotten to warm up and relax, also I was in a panic myself because I almost missed my test. Needless to say we got a 35.1 and it was the beginner novice test A. The beginning of the test had lower scores and the end had much higher which tells me that if we hadn't been panicking and had time to warm up we easily could've scored at least a few points better.

Now fast forward 6 hours to my stadium round, our warm up was horrible to say the least, we were getting eaten alive by bugs and no matter what amount of fly spray I used they still seemed to be attacking him, plus the wind was horrible. We "got over" quite a few practice jumps but not in the most graceful way. When it came time for our stadium round though Reggie was quite a bit better, still didn't jump like he does at home but we cleared everything and had no refusals and came in under time. Then directly after that I had my cross country about 20 minutes after and he was AMAZING. I couldn't have asked for anything more from him for his first cross country run. He went right over everything, no hesitation at the ditch and even the water he just cantered right in like it was nothing . We came in 7 seconds over optimum time but I didn't care, my horse had tried his heart out for me.

When it came time to pick up our ribbon, I walked over with my coach to the show office and looked at the scores and found my name and... there was no score for both stadium and cross country and it said I was eliminated in the stadium. I felt like I was gonna cry I had no idea what I did wrong and neither did my coach so we went in to talk to the show officials and the lady I happened to be talking to just so happened to be the judge for the stadium round I did. So at fence 8 I turned the wrong way(I literally almost went straight to fence 10 before I realized I had forgotten a fence so we circled back around and did fence 9 then fence 10. I never heard the elimination bell, neither did anyone else, because they never rang it.

In the end we got it sorted out to where they counted it as a refusal, so 4 points which put me in 5th for the day. I will be uploading the video of my stadium round but here's what I need to know, when I circled I hadn't presented him to fence 9 as you'll see in the video, can that still be counted as a refusal? And why would they have thought that was an elimination when you're allowed to circle back and reproach a fence after a refusal? Can somebody find in the rule book where it talks about stadium faults and eliminations? Also please no video critique, I know what I need to work on and this was our very first event.

2. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I agree there's nothing there that looks remotely like a runout or refusal but honestly I wouldn't stress on it too much. I got eliminated from my first event for taking the last fence backward - me and 3 of the other 4 riders. It was set up so you had to ride past it then turn and approach from the other direction. Rather ridiculous for a beginner course but the main thing is I (and you) finished, your horse performed well for his first time, even with the dressage mixup and you can learn from it.

Preparation is key. Making sure you're at the correct arena in plenty of time (I know they were mis-marked but I pay close attention to who goes before I do so it clues me in if something is off) , nailing the course pattern, walking the CC and really paying attention to detail.

Pat yourself on the back for completing! You both looked good out there and next time will be even better.

3. hannathefoxx

hannathefoxx Full Member

I'm not upset about it now, I'm more of just confused. The lady I ended up talking to said that it had to count as a refusal since I crossed my tracks, but during the whole course you cross your tracks all the time.

4. Preppy_Ponies

Preppy_Ponies Senior Member

Even with the mislabeled ring I'm not sure why you weren't already warming up before you realized the mistake. But I would just chalk it up to a lesson learned and make sure to double check things in the future. It is also a good idea to look at the schedule and have an idea what riders are up before you rather than relying on the ring steward to let you know how far out you are.

I'm still newish to eventing but in jumpers a circle anywhere on course counts as a refusal. And looking at the eventing rules is seems to be the same. Here's the link for the rules: https://files.usef.org/assets/YxmQTkYt2GM/13ev.pdf

From EV150.4:
    4. DISOBEDIENCES a. The following are considered as disobediences and are penalized as such (EV153):
    1. a refusal;
    2. a run-out;
    3. a resistance;
    4. a more or less regular circle or group of circles no matter where they occur on the course or for whatever reason. It is also a disobedience to circle around the last obstacle jumped unless the track of the course so requires.

What you did falls solidly into #4 under disobediences. But it shouldn't have counted as an elimination. At the lower levels elimination happens after the 3rd disobedience (look at EV153 and EV154 for more info). So it sounds like that was a mistake on their end but if I'm reading it right it was corrected.

Overall the biggest thing is you guys got out there and made it around all 3 phases without to many issues. Shows don't always go as planned and while ribbons, every shows can teach you something. My first 1 day was a bit frustrating as well. It was really muddy on xc and the show office said multiple times that due to the mud they weren't going to count xc times into the final scores.They said take you time and trot if needed and there wouldn't be any time faults since they wanted every one to be safe rather than fast. But when they did the final scoring they ended up counting in the xc times and because I had followed what they said I had some time faults that knocked me way down in the placing. It was frustrating but things happen and I was mostly happy to know that we could go out there and get around safely and happily.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  5. hannathefoxx

hannathefoxx Full Member

That helps so much, thanks! And I do know it was an error on my part cause we almost went of course so I am happy to take the faults for it.

6. Ziast

Ziast Senior Member

Crossing your path is a fault, some rule books may count it as a refusal. When you did that loop, you crossed your track.

RelaxMax and mooselady like this.
  7. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

This is important too. I don't know what your warmup routine is but I would talk to your coach and devise one that works for your horse. Depending on the horse, a warmup for me may be as little as 20 minutes or as much as an hour or more. It's not a huge, strenuous thing that's going to tire the horse but it is enough to get her loosened up and moving correctly. Especially in the higher-stress environment of a show, a solid warmup routine really helps to settle the horse and prepare him for competition.

hannathefoxx likes this.
  8. hannathefoxx

hannathefoxx Full Member

Just to clear things up, I do have a set warm up routine. We've showed dressage in the past and I used the same routine with him at this show. Normally about 20 minutes for him, he's a real steady Eddie for the most part. We were all warmed up and ready but the warm up ring was a ways away from the ring that we went to to wait for our ride time. What I meant by "we couldn't warm up cause she rang the bell" was that I couldn't walk on the outside of the ring before hand. It just so happened that the two rings were a ways away from each other and one was indoors and the other outdoors. We rode our test inside and I just really wished that there hadn't been the confusion because the birds in the indoor startled both of us at first.

Overall lesson learned, and I'm still pleased with my score despite that little mishap. Just next time I'll double check with them way in advance as to which ring I'm in and who's before me and the like.

Sam C. and bellalou like this.
  9. slc

slc Senior Member

The point is that you cross your tracks in presenting to ONE fence, it's not about other times you crossed your tracks, like 'I went out' and 'Now I'm coming back' or 'I went over here before for fence 3, this is fence 12'

Sorry you thought you got rooked but it's all about being prepared, that really is a huge part of the game. You needed to allow more time overall to note where you should be when and be warmed up, know the SJ course better, know where the rings were, ask questions about where the rings are, etc.

And yeah, if you crossed your tracks it counts as a refusal. The judge wasn't wrong. They usually aren't.

Sorry, but we all go through this. All of us. It's how we all learn. I clucked a couple times and got eliminated, LOL. That's life.

It's really an art, being able to think, focus and be organized at a competition. You've got a lot on your mind, there's a lot of buzz and activity around...you just learn it. Next time will be better and the time after that will be better. It's a process.

MIEventer likes this.
  10. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

It was a learning experience and in my opinion, even eliminated, you did well. Point is to get used to the environment for a youngster and it sounds like she did fine. Everyone hates a tech error, they happen. You'll do hands over fist better next time with what you learned. I'd say congratulations are in order for them being such a steady Eddie myself-!!