I Want To Shave My Horse....but

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by LVMYQH, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Come clip mine! Hahahaha

2. Serenity06

Serenity06 Senior Member

I enjoy body clipping horses! Minus getting hair everywhere. I use the cooling spray religiously the whole time to prevent the clippers from getting hot. I usually stop halfway and take a break for both our sakes.

3. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

I certainly didn't find that to be true! Since the horses were outside nearly 24/7 even in the winter at the barn we were at for a few years before I sold them, we left the legs furry while doing whatever clipping was necessary to battle "work sweat" that was covered by blanketing. If we lived in the south, I probably would have clipped the legs, too.

Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.
  4. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

In the western show world, legs are clipped. Always. In the winter when we didn't body clip we learned the fine art of blending. You'd pretty much clip to the knee and then blend blend blend. If you don't blend it looks like your horse is in stockings or ankle socks.

I thought the hardest part of body clipping was the underbelly and around the tail head.

5. Dehda01

Dehda01 Full Member

You can do a hot oil treatment to help bring back some color faster. Some people swear by mayonnaise, but I hate the stuff and doing a hot oil treatment is easy.

LVMYQH and Serenity06 like this.
  6. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

We live in a cold climate, and our show horses always had clipped legs. Learning to blend, as tlwidener states, is key. For shows their faces and ears are clipped, too. Blending into the neck is crucial, otherwise looks pretty bad.

tlwidener likes this.
  7. Preppy_Ponies

Preppy_Ponies Senior Member

I bet both you and he will be happier now without all that hair!!

Growing up in h/j land we always did full clips but we were often showing in the winter months. In more recent years I’ve opted for either hunter clips or Irish clips. My favorite clip for my gelding is an Irish clip but I do his whole neck and start the diagonal line a few inches in from of the withers. I leave his hind end, legs and head furry but take off enough to keep him comfortable. It also allows me to keep in simple with his blanketing.

LVMYQH and Rhythm 'n Blues like this.
  8. LVMYQH

LVMYQH Senior Member

Just a small update...

I was able to blanket him 15 min after our ride :cooldance:

His coat has gotten it's shine back. I've been using Equitekk Rehydrant Spray. Its seemed to help...and the spray smells lovely. Thought I would share that tidbit for anyone else who has recently clipped their horse:D

20190101_171127.jpg

9. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

I JUST found my blades today so I can finish Waylons clip tomorrow! :D I took him out in public and a friend of mine shows up with her push button reiner that she just bought from a show barn. Hes clipped and slick. Here I am with my mutt pony who looks like he has mange. :rofl::rofl: She said "What happen to Waylons neck?"

10. LVMYQH

LVMYQH Senior Member

:rofl:
    Update with pics please!!!