I Want To Shave My Horse....but

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by LVMYQH, Dec 7, 2018.

1. LVMYQH

LVMYQH Senior Member

Currently taking a break bc the clippers got hot lol...but I've gotten this far. Hes been licking his lips and nuzzling at me. I think hes feeling better with all of it off. Highs in the low 60s this week.

We have a round robin Ranch Sorting next weekend...high of 57. I think him being clipped will really be beneficial.
    20181219_192417.jpg

Arem, Pony123, ginster and 5 others like this.
  2. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Looks like you did a pretty good job!!

3. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

I found that I has less issue with heat when I switched to ceramic blades...they stayed sharper longer, too. A little more money, but I never had much luck with "resharpened" steel blades anyway. They went dull again really fast and that caused even more friction and heat. Wiry coat like that is the hardest to clip, BTW...you're doing a great job!

4. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Looks great!! I always have a few blades on stand by and as soon as they get even the least bit warm I swap out for a new one and lay the "hot one" on the interlocking brick aisle to cool faster. Then when I need to swap out again it's stone cold :ROFLMAO: (no pun intended there).

Just be aware of that you're saddle might fit a bit differently. I always leave a patch right where the saddle goes so as not to change that, so hopefully you're saddle's still ok; he was super furry beforehand.

5. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

I just realised I need to do this. Poor Waylon after only 30 minutes was drenched and STILL damp when I left him at last feeding. Thankfully I have multiple coolers to swap out but he definitely needs some hair off.

48404895_1089901174524380_1465693087664701440_n.jpg

ginster likes this.
  6. LVMYQH

LVMYQH Senior Member

Thanks! Theres some lines...but I was ready to be done. I had some issues with the clippers, and his left hip shows it. Oh well lol.
    Good to know. I borrowed some old but expensive clippers. It's an Oster Sunbeam 510A. I've decided to save up for my own pair next season, since I believe this will become an annual thing:D

I'll keep the ceramic blades in mind!
    Thanks for the tips! We're going on a long trailride this weekend, so I'll be sure to pack some shims just in case.
    Do it!!!

That's exactly how JohnBoy's coat looked after a ride. He really seemed to "pep up" after I clipped him and put his mid weight on. I cant wait to be able to blanket him 15 minutes after a ride :applaud:

Arem and Rhythm 'n Blues like this.
  7. LVMYQH

LVMYQH Senior Member

All finished, except for his head. My small clippers gave out after clipping his legs:rolleyes:
    I've got a few spots to clean up with a smaller pair of clippers, but after working 9 hours and spending 2 hrs clipping him, I was just done lol.

Cant wait until this rain blows through so I can see him out in some sunshine!
    Appreciate all of the tips... I'm very new to clipping horses obviously! Us "westerners" rarely do such things :rofl:
    20181219_200014.jpg

Arem, endurgirl, Bakkir and 4 others like this.
  8. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Looks good. If you do it again, to save time, I'd consider leaving his legs - they don't tend to sweat on their legs and they are time consuming to clip for sure. For elbows - they are the WORSE area to clip IMO & at least for me, I always seem to want to "look" where the clippers spit hair in my face. :X3: I find holding the skin up or back helps smooth the area out along with having them not stand square when you're doing it - well if they will cooperate that is. This just makes it easier to get all the hair in there. I hate doing elbows & the under belly!

And for the face - just take him back to where the cheek pieces hit. Leave the rest - it's a bit easier, but still looks ok as long as a halter or bridle is on them ;)

Outside of that - honestly, don't even worry about the lines. You won't see them in 1-2 weeks anyways! :cooldance::cheerleader::cowdance:

kodemiester and LVMYQH like this.
  9. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Every time I see this thread title I read it as “I want to shave my horse’s butt...”

*wanders off to get more coffee*

10. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

Legs are the easiest to clip. I would never not clip the legs :D