I Want To Shave My Horse....but

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by LVMYQH, Dec 7, 2018.

1. LVMYQH

LVMYQH Senior Member

I live in the south, and the weather is unpredictable. Was in the 70s last week...mid 40s this week. Coldest it's gotten so far is 21 degrees.

Anyways, my fluffy gelding is rode quite frequently and just about over heated when it was in the high 70s. Dripping sweat...panting etc. Even when I ride and it's in the 40s I have to wait FOREVER to throw his blanket back on.

So....I think I'm going to body clip him. I've done it to him once before, but not this early in winter. He has a high neck 220g fill winter turnout... is that enough? Or should I get a 300g fill blanket and neck cover?

TIA...pic just because. 20181201_144556.jpg
    20181201_144507.jpg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. AllyMae

AllyMae Senior Member

Interested to hear the replies. I've never shaved my horse before but I feel horrible when he's panting and drenched after a workout.

Attached Files:

3. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

Would a partial clip work? You could just clip the whole thing and just monitor him for being cold. Hes pretty well insulated under that skin so he should be okay

4. turnnburnlynx

turnnburnlynx Senior Member

I would clip his body, but leave his neck and legs long

LVMYQH likes this.
  5. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

December 21st is the winter solstice anyways, so while you can certainly clip after that, many people do not, so you actually would not be clipping early in the season :)

With those temps, I think you'd be fine with a full clip if you are committed to blanketing. I live in New England, full clip my mare, and granted she runs very warm, but she is in high neck medium weight under ~50°, and was warm last night in that when it was 25°, but I layered a lightweight (so equivalent to a heavy) because it got down to 15° last night. Again, she runs warm though. My gelding is blanket clipped and usually wants a layer under his medium or a heavy once it gets below ~30°. You can always start with a trace clip though, and take off more if he's still getting really sweaty. You can always take more off, but you can't put it back on ;)

6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Don't clip him now. Buy two wool coolers. After you ride, and he's sweaty, but not blowing, put a cooler on him, clamp it at the neck and let him eat hay. When the cooler gets all moist on top, change it for a dry one.

This is how we do it with race horses on the track in winter when they don't warrant a bath but are sweaty and need to get dry before we can blanket and put them away.

Blue-Roan, Alsosusieq2 and emali06 like this.
  7. LVMYQH

LVMYQH Senior Member

Is that a fat joke? LOL. Him is spoiled!
    I dont even know what a partial clip is. I suppose I can Google that. Leave his neck, belly and legs long?
    Ahh good to know...thanks!

He has a high neck sheet as well as his medium weight I could throw on under his blanket. But I'm not opposed to buying a heavyweight blanket.

I'm not going to race any if at all this winter, but will be trail riding,earning to breakaway rope, push cows and going to ranch sortings. So his rides are usually lengthy.

8. LVMYQH

LVMYQH Senior Member

Will he get cold in a trailer with a cooler when I haul?

9. DocsLglyBlonde

This is a good reference for the most common partial clips.
    clippingchart-sept2012.png
    You can start with a trace clip, which clips all of the most sweat prone areas, and can go a long way in keeping him cooler. Blanketing with a trace clip isn't highly different than unclipped, you'll just want to check often to make sure he's not getting too chilly either naked or with whatever blanket you have on him. I think the "fat joke" was just meaning that it is not as though he has absolutely no extra weight to lose, in which case we'd probably not advise clipping. It's just important to remember that a clipped coat is no longer waterproof, windproof, or insulating, so you may need something to block the elements even if the actual temperature is not that cold (like his sheet you said you have). You'd likely be fine just using your medium weight, and your sheet for warmer days that are wet or windy, if you go for a trace clip.

10. DocsLglyBlonde

I'd be using a cooler, clipped or unclipped, if he is sweaty riding in a trailer. Clipping will make cooling him out easier and quicker, but if you don't want to clip, you can (and should) certainly use coolers like Manes suggested to speed up the process and prevent him from getting chilled when sweaty.

Serenity06 and manesntails like this.