i want a belgian draft horse

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by mustang_dodger, May 25, 2006.

1. mustang_dodger

mustang_dodger Senior Member+

i went with my boyfriend's cousin to her doctors appointment and on the way back we stopped at their uncles house to see the belgian draft horses. he had about 11 there. there were six in the barn. one of them is a yearling filly that is worth $21,000, yes you saw that. she's in a stall with rubber matts wrapped around and has a camera on her 24/7. i wish i would have had the camera with me to get pictures of her. she's one nice looking filly. he also had a colt foal there that is about a month old, he is really cute. i took a picture of him on my cell phone. i now want one really bad. i love draft horses. next time we go there i will get pictures i promise. i will get some of them at fairs this summer. they are shown all summer.

2. mustang_dodger

draft horse owners can you give me tips on owning draft horses??

3. BklynCwgrl

BklynCwgrl Senior Member+

What do you want to know? They eat alot! They have big feet.

4. mustang_dodger

like where i can get draft horse size tack.

5. BklynCwgrl

BklynCwgrl Senior Member+

Well, I've been getting mine at Draftack.com and Shipsewanna.com.

6. mustang_dodger

thanks i will check them out

7. countryacres

countryacres Senior Member+

If you are very interested I know for 3 that are needing rescued here in IL. They have a week to be moved or the lady is taking them to an auction. she is wanting 300 each they are 1,2,3 and 2 fillys and a colt. If interested I can pass on the phone number to you.

8. mustang_dodger

if i had the money right now and a place i would like to see them.

9. dancer

dancer Senior Member+

We have a 16hh draft cross(half Clyde), and he actually doesn't eat much more than Dancer, a 15hh QH. Our farrier also charges the same(we keep ours barefoot) price as the others, but we do feed him more stabilized rice bran than the others. There's something in there that helps keep drafts from tying up, but I don't remember exactly what it is...lol. We got his tack from a)a friend, b)Horsetown, and c) eBay! :) lol

10. TagandKiss

TagandKiss Senior Member

I been wanting a draft too. i missed out on a great belgian last fall she was drop dead beautiful she had full feathers which you dont see to much on belgians. well at the ones i have seen at least. I been looking for a draft either belgian, cylesdale or shire around 16hands. just for pleasure riding I found a great shire but she located in sc. just a tad out of distances lmao. i know in my regein its hard to find drafts unless you wanna pay big bucks.

if looking getting make sure there is someone in your area that trims and shoes drafts, ebay a great place for tack. i have seen lots of draft stuff on there. good luck with getting one ^_^