I think Trouble and Bailey did "The Deed"

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by turnnburnlynx, Jun 11, 2018.

1. ginster

ginster Senior Member

I think horses can get incredibly creative..

2. turnnburnlynx

turnnburnlynx Senior Member

They are in separate pastures, but share a fence line.

I have since put up 3 strands of hotwire, and Bailey is back to threatening to kill trouble through the fence

3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

You need a separate, pasture with a five foot fence. Hot wire easily fails. Read about keeping Stallions. You don't keep them in a pasture without having fencing they can not jump or go through.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  4. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Considering what I've dealt with, you need safeguard upon safeguard. So much fun.

5. turnnburnlynx

turnnburnlynx Senior Member

The fencing is already 5ft. I have added 3 strands of hotwire. He's also not some raging aggressive beast (yep, totally aware he could be, but we train every day) and it' actually my mares fault. I have not instilled as many manners in her has I have trouble, so you know she was being a hussie. Trouble took as few good shocks to the nose today just trying to say hi to Russell, and now does not approach that part of the fence

foxtrot likes this.
  6. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Nature is Nature and in nature when a stallion can get nose to nose with a mare they will attempt to mount them regarl as if it is over a stall or a fence. This is not something that can be trained out of them... they can be trained to behave when they are in your hand or under saddle to repspect you while you ride or handle them.... but when left to own devices they will follow their hormones.

I keep my stallions with a gelding so they have a companion. They share a fence line with other geldings. They do not share a fence line with a mare. I do not allow my colts to tease or breed until after they are under saddle and competing well. After they learn how to behave in an arena full of other horses and prove their worthiness then we decide if they will be allowed to be taught to mount a dummy to be collected. We no longer breed live cover.... it’s to risky to a horse that we have spent 10’s of thousands of dollars to train. The last thing I want is for a mare to kick out a studs knee or a stud that gallops around a shownpen with a fifth leg.

Serenity06, manesntails and waresbear like this.
  7. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

No, no, no. You aren't getting the gist here. When a Stud horse is NOT under your control, NOT on a lead rope, his penis tells him what to do. Hussy or no hussy, makes no difference.

You have to start thinking like a horse, learning the mentality of a Stud, used for breeding and put up a Wooden fence. Hot wire is easily ignored when hormones kick in.

If you are going to house a Stud, you need to do it correctly. I hope you aren't pasture breeding these horses.

8. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

When I was a kid my parents had a 36" Shetland stallion and a 16 hand Saddlebred mare kept in separate paddocks but side by side. They used to flirt through the fence and my parents thought it was really funny until one day I saw the saddlebred mare laying down against the fence and the shetland standing up on the fence desperately trying to find the target. :blushing: It wasn't funny after that and they never shared a fenceline again, LOL.

Hopefully you get your fencing issues sorted out OP. Even the nicest stallions are gonna go through hell and high water to get to a willing mare.