I think Trouble and Bailey did "The Deed"

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by turnnburnlynx, Jun 11, 2018.

1. turnnburnlynx

turnnburnlynx Senior Member

*sigh* while I type this I am texting my vet.

Bailey, who has a very silent heat, who has never shown an ounce of friendly behavior towards trouble, I guess.. They were flirting through the fence line, she was squirting, and although the family did not see the act, I have to assume they did it. I was not here, I was at work, and there were NO signs of heat the past few days. She almost ripped troubles head off through the fence (They are not in the same pen, they are separated by a fence).

Im pretty sure I will just give lutalyse once they vet gets back to me. I considered, if she is in foal in 17 days, potentially keeping the foal. My reasoning is that I was going to breed Bailey to him next year before he went to training, to have tester foal on the ground before he shows....but that is suppose to be next year.

I guess I would like to know what breeders have done in the past when they goofed up like I did? This cross was going to happen eventually (next march) so its not like its unwanted or anything. Just a LITTLE SHOCKING haha

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

You build a Stud pen and keep the Stud THERE. Housing a mare on a fenceline with a stud is just BEGGING them to breed.

3. turnnburnlynx

So, he is contained with my gelding. The reason I wasn't worries, with her last foal she went into foal anestrus, so no heat cycles. The past 2 months were looking the same, so I kept them where they were. The mare and colt are moved, and the gelding and stud are in a pen with hotwire.

It was an honest mistake, I thought she was going to be in foal anestrus

4. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Oops.
    Yeah, canĀ“t be too careful with mares and stallions...
    So what are you going to do now? Lute the mare or keep the foal if she is indeed preggo?
    I guess now you know you need to be extra cautious with the little guy...

Nursestephanie2 and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  5. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Can't count on that unfortunately.

Since you were planning on this anyway, I would let this go unless there was a tremendous reason to terminate.

Keeping a stallion is a huge responsibility, evident here is the reason it's hard to get accepted at many boarding facilities. You've got to always count on the Spanish Inquisition.

Possibility is there both ways, but you might be jumping the gun. Either way, you just got a reality check on stallion ownership for now and in the future. I don't know where you are and neighbors, but this needs addressing immediately for future risks for certain.

Good luck no matter what you decide.

manesntails likes this.
  6. turnnburnlynx

I'm going to give her lutalyse in a few days when the vet is out.
    Although Trouble and Bailey were flirty, I still really doubt trouble has any idea of what to actually do.

Troubles housing is incredibly safe and secure, and realistically there isnt' any horses around us.

It was more just a mistake on my side, I assumed she was in foal anestrus, and thought it'd be nice for Russell and trouble to be able to friends through the fence. They will be moved back to their foaling pen in the morning

powerjumper and ginster like this.
  7. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

I'm confused. Did one of them get through the fence, or . . . ? Because you say they're contained in separate pastures, but you are worried the mare is bred?

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  8. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I've a feeling it's a false alarm, but not sure on that. If he didn't get out of the paddock..

9. turnnburnlynx

Oh no. They are still in their separate paddocks, they share a fence line though

10. slc

slc Senior Member

Have you ever heard the term, "Fenceline babies?" LOL.

A single line of fence between a stallion and a mare is - no fence.