1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

I Need Halter Information!

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by liesie Are, Feb 25, 2017.

1. liesie Are

liesie Are Full Member

So I have Alfie (a purebred Arabian gelding), and my barn is having a large event show! I want to do halter, but I've never shown in it (I'm also new to the showing world).
    Since it's just a little schooling show, what type of halter should I use?
    I have a Parelli blue rope halter, a Weaver black and blue rope halter, an older black with white stitching nylon halter, and a really old beaten down purple halter (I don't plan on using this lol). Could I use one of those or do I need a specific type?

2. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

If the horse is over 2, I would show him Sport Horse in-Hand style and show him in a nice clean English Snaffle.

3. liesie Are

liesie Are Full Member

The show only has halter (Gelding and Stallions 2 and over), so I can't do the Sport Horse in hand.

4. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Why don't you ask them? Honestly I didn't think any of your halters would show well. Never shown at halter Arabian classes, but Kristal does. Maybe borrow one.

5. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Per the USEF Arabian Rules horses can be shown in a snaffle in a halter class and if they are braided they must be shown in a snaffle in the atire of their riding division. If this is a mixed breed type show, and it appears you may ride hunter and may therefore braid for the show. I would show the horse in a snaffle and wear a polo shirt and either your breeches and boots or slacks and running shoes. (you of course won't be running the triangle .... Just looking like you could).

6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Preferably a leather halter and leather lead.

For a barn show? Use whichever is the cleanest and neatest.

7. windblown

windblown Senior Member

I would find a plain leather stable halter and lead or ask if you can show him in a bridle (with a braided mane & forelock, in that case). The options you listed will not suit any show well.

GotaDunQH likes this.
  8. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

Either a plain leather halter or a bridle. I used to show my TB gelding open in a bridle and still placed in my classes. Usually open show judges know the rules.