I need a poultice or other technique to pull out infection from a healed cut

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by lacy, Mar 2, 2008.

1. lacy

lacy Senior Member+

I made this thread about a bad cut that my horse has on the front of her hock.
    http://myhorseforum.com/threads/180285/

It has been healing up very well thanks to the help of the barns BO. But, I went there today to move her to the new barn today (haven't seen her in a week because she was and a hour and a half away from me). The outside of the cut is doing great and has closed up... but the problem is that it has closed up and there is still infection inside of her leg.

I was wondering if anyone has used a poultice in this type of situation and if so- what was in it. Some ingredients that I should already have on hand so that I can start it right in the morning.

I have heard of something with mouthwash in it, but don't remember the rest. I also know that there are sweats that I can do to draw the infection up and get the area mushy so that I can- as comfortably as possible, get the cut to open back up.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2015

2. Chester

Chester Senior Member+

I reckon it might be worth giving the vet a tingle. He may know of something or suggest antibiotics to clear the infection.

3. Ryle

Ryle Senior Member+

If there is pus, debris under the scabbed over area then it needs to be reopened and needs to remain open until there is no more discharge. You would definitely be well advised to call your vet to have the wound re-examined and see if antibiotics would be needed.

4. lacy

lacy Senior Member+

Thanks guys-

I do plan on calling the vet in the morning. I went to get her today for the sole purpose of moving her from SC to GA, about 2 hours away from each other. So, I plan on calling my old vet tomorrow why saw the cut when it first happened and then also calling a new vet for out here.

I know that it was kept very clean but I also know that theres no telling whats really inside till you open it up.

I need some poultice ideas in the HOPES that the vet will not have to cut it open. I'm also going to pick at it really good tomorrow to see if I can find a little spot that might still be open enough so that I can squeeze some of the stuff out.

5. paintedquarters

paintedquarters Senior Member

It probably needs to be lanced so it can drain.

6. lacy

lacy Senior Member+

Thats what I was thinking as well... and hoping I was wrong :( Bleck

7. lacy

lacy Senior Member+

Anyone else with ideas for a poultice?

8. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

If the wound is closed, and there is indeed an infection (what makes you think there is?) then nothing will work to "draw" anything out until it's opened.

Most poultices shouldn't be used on broken skin, so keep that in mind. However, a simple, plain clay poultice can be very useful in a situation like this.

9. tbtrainer

tbtrainer Senior Member+

Lacey, I would first call your vet and get some anti biotics for the infection...

I would try scrubbing diluted Betadine on a gauze pad to get the scab off and open things up, this will usually work, just keep dipping the gauze in very warm water.

There is also a poultice called Analphlagistine... I think I spelled that right, it CAN be used over wounds, and is a great drawing/cooling poultice. It stays moist, so you would have to wrap it, (wet brown paper from a feed bag works great under a standing wrap) or deal with lots of bedding stuck to it!

Personally, I love Animalintex pads for this, I know the cut is in a weird place to wrap, so you will need to get some sheet cotton, and vet wrap to hold the pad in place.

10. Blistering Winds

Blistering Winds Senior Member+

Sugardine seems to work. (I love this stuff...can ya tell??)