I need a gun

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by slc, May 15, 2018.

1. slc

slc Senior Member

I do not think there is anything wrong with running my car given how far my driveway is to come down and given I have a gate that people shouldn't open, which will be changing to a gate people CAN'T open.

I don't suppose you all will believe this story, but I talked to a gal who said she was home alone on her farm, long, long driveway, husband on a business trip. They had a lot nicer gear than I do, all new stuff. And some really fancy horses. Very nice folks, very genteel.

Someone pushed through her gate (it didn't have a locking latch, the gate closer just shuts it, you know the type).

Two guys. In a pickup truck. They came down the drive and started casing the property. Went back to the barn, went into the tack room, the utility building, house garage. Everything all open. Because they never had any trouble out there.

She went ballistic. Picked up her husband's shot gun and went out in the driveway and just started SCREAMING at them. She said something like you "are making me feel very UNCOMFORTABLE," lol.

They got in the truck and left.

2. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Gotcha. I misread or misunderstood that at first.
    I guess it is somewhat reassuring that they were after the car instead of the horses though.

3. slc

slc Senior Member

I cannot afford to replace the car.

I had a car stolen before when I lived somewhere else. It was locked and in my garage.

There was "no crime" in that neighborhood as well, LOL.

4. slc

slc Senior Member

This isn't really a good time to tell me I can't run my car on my own property.

5. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Wait, what?

CabterCrazy and NaeNae like this.
  6. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

[​IMG]

ginster and NaeNae like this.
  7. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

If there are blind spots you can't see from your house, a few mirrors carefully placed to eliminate those dead zones, and some bright motion activated lights will help.
    Also, I have *coughcough* ACCIDENTALLY hotwired a metal gate to keep out unwanted company before. It won't deter a determined offender, but if it is a spur of the moment decision, and good strong shock will send 90% packing.
    A good guard dog, one that knows their people, is worth their weight in gold.

ginster and slc like this.
  8. slc

slc Senior Member

No cars visible from the road. My car was not visible from the road. Nothing is visible from the road. You can't even tell there is a house back here unless you slow way way down and look really hard.

Once you pull in and stop in front of the gate, you can see the front of the house but that's all.

The only way anyone would see anything else(including where my car was that day) is by driving down the whole long driveway, follow several curves around several trees, and then go down a dip, up a rise and drive around the west side of the garage. All not visible from the road. Just the back 2-3 feet was sticking out of the garage, and you can't see even that from the road.

You see the driveway by the road is in the center of the property, but by the time you get back to the garage, the driveway is all the way over by the west property line, so it's very hard to see anything but the house from the road.

These guys did not drive in to say hi or ask for work. They undid the gate, drove down a VERY long driveway, QUIETLY without beeping their horn. I was sitting right by the front window with a view on the driveway. I'm working. I look up every couple of minutes. I was very sick yesterday, so I was slumped down a bit. They got past me, in other words.

They parked their vehicle behind the garage where no one in the house can see it. They did not yell hi. They did not walk around to the house.

I went out to the barn. I was about 30 feet from them, on the east side of the garage. They had to hear the back door open, and me walk up the sidewalk to the horses and say, 'what's going on, guys?'

They did not say hi, they did not honk the horn, they did not move their truck while I was outside.

I went back into the house, puzzled, as my mare was staring at something over to the west, so was Wuss Horse.

I was concerned my neighbor might have fallen and gotten hurt. I looked over there. Saw nothing.

Went back in the house.

After what seemed like a VERY long time, I heard a guy come up the porch steps, very, very quietly. He knocked at the door VERY softly. Then he went back down the steps just as quietly, and back over by the garage where his buddy was still by the truck.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  9. CabterCrazy

CabterCrazy Senior Member

Maybe all this detail would have been better in your original post instead of when people are offering suggestions you do not like.

Lock your gate when you are not home. Get a guard dog and find a professional to help you learn how to properly use a gun.

10. bsaz

bsaz Senior Member

Most states do not allow deadly force in defense of property. In Arizona, I'm in a ton of trouble if I shoot an unarmed person who is stealing my car. Sounds like these guys were looking for something to steal. FWIW, I've told my wife if something like that happens:

Go inside. Lock the door. Get the gun. Be prepared to use it in self-defense. Call the cops. In that order. The car is insured. Better to collect the insurance than bury my wife.

NaeNae and Arem like this.