I need a gun

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by slc, May 15, 2018.

1. Ms_Pigeon

Ms_Pigeon Senior Member

We used to rent a home on a large property that had a gate equipped with a garage door-like mechanism. We were issued openers to get in/out, but there was no way for "just anyone" to open the gate.

2. slc

slc Senior Member

No, MY car was in the driveway, well, half pulled out of the garage, KEYS IN IT, RUNNING.

That's where they parked. Right next to MY car, by the garage, where I could not see their truck.

ginster likes this.
  3. bsaz

bsaz Senior Member

"It shall be unlawful for any person to point, hold or brandish any firearm or any air or gas operated weapon or any object similar in appearance, whether capable of being fired or not, in such a manner as to reasonably induce fear in the mind of another or hold a firearm or any air or gas operated weapon in a public place in such a manner as to reasonably induce fear in the mind of another of being shot or injured. However, this section shall not apply to any person engaged in excusable or justifiable self-defense." - Virginia State Code § 18.2-282

What is Brandishing? | Firearm Training Classes, Firearms Training

California:
    "In order to prove that you brandished a weapon under Penal Code 417 PC, the prosecutor must prove the following facts (otherwise known as “elements” of the crime):
    1. that you drew or exhibited a deadly weapon or firearm in the presence of another person,
    2. that either

1. you did so in a rude, angry, or threatening manner, or
      2. you did so unlawfully in a fight or quarrel, and
    3. that you were not acting in self-defense or in the defense of another person at the time...
    ...The “elements” of Penal Code 417 PC specifically state that you are guilty of the offense if you weren't acting in self-defense at the time you drew or exhibited your weapon. This means that if you were lawfully defending yourself or defending another person, California's self-defense laws will excuse your otherwise criminal act."

Brandishing a Weapon, Gun or Firearm | California Penal Code 417 PC

Now...does YOUR state allow you to carry a firearm out and display it in an attempt to prevent auto theft? If you have the option of staying inside a locked house instead? I don't know. In Arizona, I could certainly carry a concealed gun with me, and draw it if I then felt threatened. I think some states would require you to retreat to your house and call the cops. I certainly would prefer to be charged with brandishing a gun than be found murdered in my driveway 3 hours later...

equinitis, endurgirl and slc like this.
  4. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

The above mentions a public place..... so, if they were on your property, that wouldn't be considered public.

bobo and horses likes this.
  5. slc

slc Senior Member

My husband would need at least a couple days to notice my body lying in th driveway.

When questioned, he'd probably say he only gets over to that side when feeding the chickens and then later, collecting their eggs. And that if he did see me, he figuredI was taking a nap, and I just told him the other day not to wake me up when I am napping.

bobo and horses likes this.
  6. Arem

Arem Senior Member

I would advise not doing that in the future.
    Remember, I am not anti-gun, but there are many things that you can do for personal safety aside from and in addition to arming yourself.

Precautions like not leaving your car running with the keys in it, locking doors, and so on. Situational awareness. Physical self defense like Brazilians Jiu Jitsu. And so on.

One should never threaten anyone with a gun unless they intend to USE that gun. Why are you walking outside of your house with a gun to confront a trespasser if you don’t intend to shoot them?

If you’re only intending to shoot them if they break into the house why not call the police and wait inside with the gun, prepared in case the trespassers break in?

That is the safer, wiser option.
    Dont fight where a fight isn’t necessary— armed or not.

If you (General you) go outside simply hoping to scare the trespassers, with no intention to actually shoot them, what happens when they call your bluff? You weren’t prepared You thought they’d just scare off. Now you’re in danger of freezing/not responding appropriately. Now you’re at risk of the trespassers attacking you, taking your gun, and shooting you with it. Or maybe you were able to get a shot off. you now be in trouble with the law? Will it be considered a legal shoot or not?

If you aren’t prepared to potentially shoot the trespassers, you have no business going outside with a gun to confront them.

7. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

This....and I have no idea if I could shoot someone.

I am comfortable with guns, we have a few in the safe...have handled and used all of them, I like shooting. BUT if someone turned up I am not sure I would take a gun out..because I think if I'm not prepared to shoot, and shoot to kill, I maybe in worse danger.

I prefer to keep a big dog around, she looks the part, strangers are reluctant to leave their vehicle when they see her....most people looking for easy pickings move along when they see a dog...

Arem and Ms_Pigeon like this.
  8. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

Again, this wasn't in the suburbs. I would never leave my car running in my driveway as I live in the (small) city. Literally every week a vehicle sitting on the street warming up before work is stolen where I live. But if I had land and my driveway was long and house set back, and I had a gate, I would definitely feel fine about leaving my car running to run back inside and grab something.

There's being accountable and being cautious against reasonable potential threat, and then there is trespassing and I will most definitely threaten someone shifty coming onto my property. I don't know the laws where I live, but if I moved to somewhere with land, I would learn them so I know how I can defend myself.

9. CabterCrazy

CabterCrazy Senior Member

If you are going to leave a car running or with keys in it put it somewhere you can watch it.

Get a dog before a gun.

10. slc

slc Senior Member

May I point out that y'alls are contradicting each other quite some amount? Just sayin'. I ain't a gonna be able to please all yous nice folks. Some of yous is goin' to be disappointed.