I need a gun

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by slc, May 15, 2018.

1. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

If I had suspicious people trespassing on my property like in SLC's situation, I would most definitely walk out of my house with a 12 gauge pointed to the ground/air.

We aren't talking about someone living in the suburbs and walking 20 feet down a driveway mistakenly. We are talking about a chunk of property with a long drive and they had to unlatch a gate to get down and wander. You can tell the difference between someone friendly or needing directions/help and someone shifty. These people parked out of sight, instead of pulling up to the house. They weren't looking to say hi.

I'd send a gruff looking dog out first, and then follow behind with a shotgun. Personal preference.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  2. slc

slc Senior Member

The car was in the driveway, running, with the keys in it.

If I stayed in the house, the car would be gone.

If that's your advice for this situation, then write me a check for $12,000 for a new car, add in the armed bodyguard I'll need when they come back for the rest of my stuff, and I'll follow it.

manesntails likes this.
  3. slc

slc Senior Member

NaeNae:

If I had suspicious people trespassing on my property like in SLC's situation, I would most definitely walk out of my house with a 12 gauge pointed to the ground/air.

We aren't talking about someone living in the suburbs and walking 20 feet down a driveway mistakenly. We are talking about a chunk of property with a long drive and they had to unlatch a gate to get down and wander. You can tell the difference between someone friendly or needing directions/help and someone shifty. These people parked out of site, instead of pulling up to the house. They weren't looking to say hi.

I'd send a gruff looking dog out first, and then follow behind with a shotgun. Personal preference.

manesntails likes this.
  4. slc

slc Senior Member

Here's the other thing. When they left, they didn't look around for another driveway. They floored it the heck outta here.

The one guy refused to get back in the truck, claimed he was going to close them gate behind them. When he got up to the gate, he jumped in the truck and they zipped on outta here. I am SURE they wanted to get out of that entire area before I called the police.

5. bsaz

bsaz Senior Member

If you get a gun, seriously consider taking a class for concealed carry. Even if you have no intent to carry concealed. The class I took included some long discussions about the law, self-defense, what was and was NOT self-defense under state law, various scenarios when it would be legal to pull a gun and when it would be illegal, etc. Good class.

Laws vary from state to state. For example, in the state where you live, do you have 'a duty to retreat'? If so, then you might have had a legal obligation to go back in your house and let them do what they want. Walking out with a shotgun to handle the situation could be illegal, depending on your state's laws. Better to learn those laws in class than in court.

equinitis and NaeNae like this.
  6. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

This too. Definitely know the laws also.

7. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Any chance they were checking out the horses? Is there any way to set up a gate that only opens to certain cars?
    ...now I remember you asking about somethin glike this a few months ago, right?
    I would def. want some other security measures beside the gun...

8. slc

slc Senior Member

My first thought was to steal the horses, tack, tractor, etc, but then I realized that car was in the driveway with the keys in it, running.

My first thought was anyone tries to steal Wuss Horse, they are going to do that over my dead body.

bobo and horses and ginster like this.
  9. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Do you mean YOUR car was in the driveway with the keys in it? I thought you meant it was their car....keeping it running makes for a faster getaway..

manesntails likes this.
  10. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

You, as usual, are going WAY, WAY, over the top. Nobody's talking about shooting anyone unless they break into your house. Then you have a perfect right to shoot them.

You must not live in the country. The way I described is how you do it, where I come from. The giys coming onto my property were most likely poachers. There were dead deer carcuses all over since the property had been vacant for 60 years. Soon as they saw someone was there, and had a shot gun, they left.

I ain't walkin' down to meet 'em in the dark to “discuss“ with them the fact they're trespassing~!! Not going near them, just showing them I have a gun is enough to deter most of them.

bobo and horses likes this.