I need a gun

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by slc, May 15, 2018.

1. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

But couldn't showing off that you have one while they approach usually make unwanted people, unless maybe they are totally high on some drug or crazy turn around and leave without any further discussions?

manesntails likes this.
  2. slc

slc Senior Member

Well the odd thing is that I didn't feel scared at all until after it was over. Then I was scared. Not during. Even the moment when the guys paused and didn't get back in the truck. See they both got down out of the truck, I am saying get off my property, get in the truck, get off my property. And I was fairly near the big guy. You see, they both were out of the truck at that point and looking at each other. And not getting in the truck.

They were over by the horses, you see.

I wanted them away from the horses. That was my first thought, they're after the horses. More likely, they were after the car, which had the keys in it.

And I realized too, the position I was in, there are trees all along there. No one would see. All they had to do was hit this old lady once and they'd get a car out of it.

It was the horses that let me know they were there, you see they parked their truck behind the garage. I couldn't see them from the house or from either porch.

I saw the horses acting oddly and went outside, but the garage is there, it's about 40 feet long, you see, so I did not yet see the two men or the truck.

The horses and the pony, they were all pointed toward this one spot and staring at it but both the mare and Wuss Horse were not going over toward that spot to get nearer to it, you know? They were both just standing up near their stalls and had this look about them like, 'who in the heck is that?' Very intent look.

Normally they would greet anyone who came onto the property. Even the vet, Wuss Horse just hangs over the fence and wants to say hi.

Not this time. I just thought that was very strange.

I mean, they were acting like there was a predator on the property.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    ginster likes this.
  3. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

I agree it wasn’t a good situation. Possibly you should look into getting some kind of protection. Maybe a friend could help you learn to shoot and how to safely handle a firearm. And, carry the darn thing!

In Michigan to conceal carry, one must take book work, and then fire at a fire range. There are several in my smallish area, taught by MSP, so I’m sure they are available in your area.

You may have escaped harm by the skin of your teeth. Probably because you didn’t back down.

How was your evening? You have guard horses!

peg4x4 and ginster like this.
  4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

You need a guard dog too.

One Sunday afternoon two guys in an old pickup drove onto the training farm I worked and lived at. Everyone but two grooms were gone. Those two were in the hay room eating and playing cards together.

They heard the truck coming down the gravel drive. The hay room had a big window at the end where it connected to the barn and was built off it to make a T shape in the center of the long side of the barn, so, they had a perfect view of what was to come.

I had a Boxer, 75lb female, who was fine with everyone who belonged there, not so much with strangers. She was sitting out in front of the barn. These two guys pull up to thebarn and stop about 30' from it. The two grooms hear the driver say to the passenger: “ That's a purebred dog, let's get her“~!!

Well, the grooms were not at all alarmed by this. Instead, they smiled and giggled to one another.

The both got out of the truck which made my Boxer, Willa, jump to her feet and commence to let out her usual low and menacing growl which she saved for just such an occasion~!! She accompanied this by lowering her head horizontal to the ground and assuming a “ready to go“ possition.

The driver, a big guy, bent over a little and said: “ Here girl“. :D With a great big friendly smile onhis face.

So, obediently, she came..

With her teeth bared, barking and lunging at him~!! He jumped back in the truck, as fast as he could, with her nipping at his heels. The guys thought she did catch the bottom of his pants leg there, for a second, just before he got the door closed.

So, with him out of the way, she ran around to the passenger's side, got that one to jump back into the truck, then she chased the vehicle clear out to the road.

Came back to the barn and sat down where she had started.

The two grooms in the hay room could barely contain their laughter when they told me about it, later that afternoon, at my return~!! :D

So, just get ya a dog. If it isn't naturally protective and bright when it cimes to who is okay and who isn't, get it trained. Thenyou don't have to worry about the husband, or anyone else, “taking your “weapon“ and turning it against you“.

Unless, of course, they came armed and seek to kill you, then you ain't got much of a chance anyway. But, that's not relevant to this situation and is neither here nor there. :LOL:

ginster likes this.
  5. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

Something like you describe would give me pause, too, relative to firearm ownership. There's unfortunately increasing risk from home invasion and other similar events...nefarious folks are becoming more and more emboldened these days. I've never felt the need, but you never know. I agree with the sentiment that a shotgun is a good thing to have around for home defense because they are really easy to handle and make a big noise when necessary...less finesse is required. They can be handy for other tasks on a rural property, too. Hand guns require a lot more training and careful consideration around how to carry (including what's lawfully permitted where you live) but can be an important part of the plan. I have friends who open carry (permitted in PA), friends who conceal carry and friends who probably put their firearm in a place that would make it hard to get to when it was actually needed.

A noisy dog isn't a horrible idea, either...it doesn't have to be an aggressive dog...it can work just fine if it merely sounds like one. :D

slc and ginster like this.
  6. ginster

ginster Senior Member

My first instinct would be "get a big dog". Something with a deep, mighty growl and bark.
    A rottie, a GSD or maybe a Pyr.

BossMare16 and Arem like this.
  7. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Never aim a gun at someone you don’t intend to kill. And never result to deadly force unless you have no choice for personal safety.

While confronting someone just loitering on your property with your gun could mak them leave, you also chance escalating the situation more than you have to. You don’t want/need to be the one escalating the situation.

Better to call the police and stay inside the locked house, ready in case the trespassers start to show clear intent to harm.

That way, no one ends up dying that doesn’t have to. Trespassing does not deserve the death penalty.

peg4x4 and ginster like this.
  8. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

You don't have to, nor should you, aim the shotgun at them. You just have to show up WITH it. :D
    Mine was pointed at the ground in front of me. Had they kept coming, then I'd have shot the ground a ways out in front of them.

When you live miles from the Sheriff's office and rhey aren't going to get to you any time soon, you do what you need to do to scare people off.

Go inside and call the cops gets you nowhere out where I used to live. You do that when they keep coming and then wait to aim the gun and shoot once they're INSIDE the house. :rolleyes:

9. Arem

Arem Senior Member

If they aren’t causing any immediate harm, there isn’t much need to scare them off right away with a gun. There is plenty of time to wait for the police.

When you present your gun, you’re committing to the possibility of killing that person. Why go there unless they are showing clear intent to cause harm?

In light of past threads on guns, this one truly amazes me. Oh, no! Active shooters shouldn’t be confronted with guns and shot! But trespassers? BANG!

CabterCrazy likes this.
  10. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

All that has to happen in Michigan is that you need to be in fear of your life or suffer bodily harm to be able to shoot, and they do teach you to shoot to kill.

Now, this is ending up in a gun/no gun thread, which is not what was intended, I am sure. So on that note, good luck SLC, I have made my options known, so off I go.

manesntails and ginster like this.